Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Allan reminds me of our Fernandinho. If Pep wants a like for like replacement he's probably the closest option in terms of style. He's about to turn 28, but then so was Ferna when we signed him. Although you can hardly expect anybody else to age so well.

Not at all sold on Rice. Too important a position for us to be gambling on a maybe/ might be. If we have to address it again in 4-5 years with the trade of being landing a tried veteran... so be it. CDM is not a learn on the job position.

What about Gundogan taking over from Fernandinho ? @Dax777

I think Gundogan qualities ( Passing & Movement) remind me of Jorginho & FDJ, he is more similar to them than Fernandinho.
Not aimed at me, I know, but Gundogan is fine for the lesser teams. Not enough against the top teams. Can you see Gundogan setting the pace like fern did against Liverpool last week? He was at mane inside 30 seconds.
Gundogan isn’t the answer.

Last edited:
Not at all sold on Rice. Too important a position for us to be gambling on a maybe/ might be. If we have to address it again in 4-5 years with the trade of being landing a tried veteran... so be it. CDM is not a learn on the job position.
Well we probably need two players in his position anyway

Not aimed at me, I know, but Gundogan is fine for the lesser teams. Not enough against the top teams. Can you see Gundogan setting the pace like fern did against Liverpool last week? He was at mane inside 30 seconds.
Gundogan isn’t the answer.
My primary reason i think Gundogan is not the answer there is because of his general style. Fernandinho is silky smooth to but he has no issue with setting the tone by smashing the oppo early on if they are getting giddy. He just kinda smashes into them, for a small-ish fella he makes great use of what size he has.

Gundogan i feel would think always about playing the passing game and generally treat the game as a technical exercise 100%. Nothing wrong with that at all in most positions. I feel with Fernandinho's position though sometimes a trigger needs to be pulled. Gundogan is not your man for that. I should note i don't even blame him. Especially after his injury woes, they were severe by any standard. He said himself he will never be the same player. Tenacity against oppo who are up for a physical battle is where he draws the line i think. A trait we can't afford in a defensive mid player. You put all the above much more succinctly though, i would just swap "setting the pace" for "setting the tone" :-)

Gundogan is an elusive player both to our benefit and detriment. Sometimes he hides behind oppo players when he could step out and create an option. Sorry to all his uber fans but that is a fact, i have seen it often. That same style also see's him pop up and score important goals though to, often in games where you can't see where we are going to get a goal from. That is a pretty valuable player but not one i would trust week in week out to adapt to the games needs in defensive midfield.

Allan reminds me of our Fernandinho. If Pep wants a like for like replacement he's probably the closest option in terms of style. He's about to turn 28, but then so was Ferna when we signed him. Although you can hardly expect anybody else to age so well.
Go watch Fernandinho`s goal against utd in the CL and see if any of that resembles Allan a fat slow hatchet man? and for everyone who has not seen it get it on youtube it is well worth watching, i was hooked from that moment

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.