Britain’s Greatest Sportstar

Too busy to read through the thread but just in case someone hasn’t posted the answer yet it is...

C B Fry, who played both cricket and soccer for England and equalled the world long-jump record.

Too busy to read through the thread but just in case someone hasn’t posted the answer yet it is...

C B Fry, who played both cricket and soccer for England and equalled the world long-jump record.

I remember Hawkesbee and Jacobs going on about him on Talkshite. Apparently his party piece was that he could do a double footed leap up onto the mantelpiece from a standing start. Astonishing if true.

I think the context of the achievement is important. In terms of Murray to cope with the pressure of a nation who think you are a jock **** when you lose but love you when you win, who are desperate to see a British Wimbledon winner, who label you a bottle job and call you a miserable sod. All whilst playing in the greatest era of Men's tennis and doing it on your own with such pressure. It is phenomenal. Especially after losing a final then coming back to win it. Three grand slams and a finalist in all, world number 1 and double Olympic winner.

He might not be the greatest ever British sportsman but he is definitely up there.

Almost impossible task,it's hard enough picking one from the same sport.
Different fitness levels,equipment innovation and medical science complicate the judging process for the different generations.
Comparing different sports then involves taking account of the relevance of equipment and whether the same equipment was available to all the competitors.
Participation numbers are also a factor as many sports are unavailable to many people due to costs or availability of facilities.
All in all its almost impossible to come to a decision but good fun to try I suppose.

loved Daley Thompson in his prime and brain jacks in superstars on the bbc

but for me its got to be fred perry first player to win a "Career Grand Slam" and a local lad to boot

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.