SAS Who dares wins

Or the Aki Arms. Especially with a bloke called Dave in a black North Face jacket.
Those were the days.... two tours of Cyprus were action packed that's for sure...

Akrotiri Arms ..... Or were talking about somewhere else?

There used to be an Irish Bar in Limassol where the people described as "cunts" in an earlier post used to go after a successful job.... ironic as there were always squaddies in there who assumed I guess that these fuckers would never shit on their own doorstep and ruin their holidays by doing anything while there

It was highly unusual for something like that to be caught live. Two years later with the Falklands War, reporting was pretty tightly controlled. Footage took days to come back from the south Atlantic, and the first anyone heard of things like ship losses was the announcements by the MoD "that they regretted to announce that..." and so on. The official they used for it spoke incredibly slowly for the benefit of the written press - and it felt very odd to listen to even at the time. But that was how we got the news!

watch

That takes me back,i was at home waiting on news about about my fella in the navy,it was so shocking we were losing ships and waiting for the dreaded knock on the door

Those were the days.... two tours of Cyprus were action packed that's for sure...

There used to be an Irish Bar in Limassol where the people described as "cunts" in an earlier post used to go after a successful job.... ironic as there were always squaddies in there who assumed I guess that these fuckers would never shit on their own doorstep and ruin their holidays by doing anything while there

Loved my posting to Akrotiri, apart from the day the mortar bombs rained down on us one Sunday!

Aye, actually just read about her today. Served in the army for 17 years, 10 in SOG (Special Operations Group). She has spent several years in Afghanistan. As mentioned she is the first female that made it to the very top. Swedish SOG is on par with any other similar unit (SAS, Navy SEALs etc.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Särskilda_operationsgruppen
I'm sure the Swedish SOG are pretty bad ass but I thought that it was universally accepted that the SAS/SBS, Delta and DEVGRU (Seal Team Six) were classed as Tier 1 operators and were just that bit better than all the other worlds Special Forces?

Definitely the Akrotiri Arms. I still have one or two T-Shirts somewhere.

For your ship to be hit and have to abandon ship - that must have been utterly horrific...
It still baffles me how lucky I was. Getting out of a devastated on fire ops room. If the third bomb had of gone off I think my number was deffo up.
She was going down pretty quick. So training just kicked in to be honest. It wasn’t until I was hanging onto a life raft, watching the ship burning that I had the thought. My mums going to flip when she finds out about it.

Can’t imagine what you went through, I’m not exactly a shrinking violet, but I’d have probably shit myself, just thought I’d have been in my last year at school then, I was a bit of a nutter back then, would probably have tried head butting an Exocet :-)
I was 18 back then so a bit of bravado and belief in the ships abilities was to be expected. The Exocet threat was the one that made you crack it most. Ironic that plain old iron bombs did for us.

It still baffles me how lucky I was. Getting out of a devastated on fire ops room. If the third bomb had of gone off I think my number was deffo up.
She was going down pretty quick. So training just kicked in to be honest. It wasn’t until I was hanging onto a life raft, watching the ship burning that I had the thought. My mums going to flip when she finds out about it.

Happy to have you here posting mate and thoughts with all those that never got the chance to make the journey home.

Brave men and women all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.