Pecking Order and Transfer Policy

Gabriel

Was reflecting on something that Guardiola said in his press conference prior to the Wolves game: if Real Madrid or Barcelona come in for the same player that we want, then normally forget it.

In light of the fact that we've lost Diaz (Real Madrid) and lost out on de Jong (Barcelona), does that give weight to the idea that we still fall behind those two teams and did it influence his comment? Of course, I appreciate we'll never know how far our interest extended in the case of de Jong and 'normally' means there will be exceptions, but is there a distinct pecking order?

In the same press conference, the embargoed version in which he seemed more open than usual, he also hinted that we would need to be quicker and more efficient in identifying and signing our targets. Is that feasible, however, now that we only require players of the very highest standard?

I would like to believe City play in the same league as Real and Barca in terms of attraction. Just look at players we have that could easily play for Real or Barca: De Bruyne, Bernardo, D. Silva, Laporte, Aguero, Sané, Sterling, Mahrez and probably Gundogan. They are all class players.

I think the reason we lost out on De Jong is City is trying to wash off the stamp that we always spend top money on players, even ones that hadn't yet proved themselves. Just look at how careless the club was around 2009-2012. As soon as we're nearing 60m+ for a player, something happens. Van Dijk was never going to happen as he approached the 70m+ pricetag. Mahrez for 70-80m+ wasn't going to happen either. City don't want to be one of those clubs inflating the market, as they were often accused of doing. It's good and bad. It has now cost them Alexis, Jorginho and De Jong. I just hope we don't miss out on Matthijs De Ligt. That's a talent we do not want to miss out on.

This is a great topic. One I have long thought about myself. In my opinion players want 3 things. A top wage, a nice climate and a really good chance to win trophies. In this moment in time Barca, Real, PSG and Juventus offer this the most. In my opinion those clubs will always be too
AS LONG AS they pay the wages and fight for trophies.

What is interesting now is it seems neither Barca or Real want to pay huge waves anymore. Barcelona espically seem like they want to bring the wage budget down.

I feel Man city and United and Bayern will always be behind these clubs due to the above three reasons. City and United can pay wages but can't offer the nice climate or gurantee of trophies. But if any of the above clubs should stop paying huge wages then i feel City will become a main attraction club.

Having the best squad in the world overall says otherwise. We can compete. But we just dont want to pay much it seems anymore, which caused us to lose number of targets. To be honest I like this approach, it usually means you get really committed player who is coming for right reasons.
Problem is we're going to have to eventually unless we perpetually want sloppy seconds.

Having the best squad in the world overall says otherwise. We can compete. But we just dont want to pay much it seems anymore, which caused us to lose number of targets. To be honest I like this approach, it usually means you get really committed player who is coming for right reasons.

Do we really have the best squad in the world? It's very good, granted, but I'm not sure it's the best in the world. When I watched Real Madrid win the CL last season, I was struck at the sheer depth and quality of its squad. Again, this season, I look at Barcelona and see an equally strong squad.

As for the second point, getting really committed players, is that really something, or is it just something we tell ourselves as a means of solace when we've missed out on the players we actually wanted?

I think there is a natural draw to certain teams, but as mentioned before, we seem to now attract players that fight for the team, rather than themselves. We cannot expect to sign everyone, and there does seem to be a ceiling limit that we want to go too, and when figures are quoted beyond this, we definitely cool our interest. But I suppose as a supporter, I don't think we have got much wrong recently, the players we missed out on, haven't exactly set the world alight, and in some cases I feel we have clearly dodged a bullet. Y

es Real have Champions League success, but they have two domestic league seasons that were forgettable, which is why they have had the managerial turnover. We have been building under the best coach in the world, and thinking how we have performed over the past two seasons, I can not criticize. Manchester is not Paris or Spain, I think that is a big stumbling block, because I think just about everything else is spot on.

Is there a pecking order? of course there is t a club thing Liverpool lost Coutinho and Suarez utd lost Ronaldo Tottenham lost Bale, the Spanish clubs pay the largest wages and fees with the best climate and attitude to flair players and they win trophies, when we do it will change perceptions, as it is we have one of the best squads in the world without having any record fees paid or record wages, as for De Jong good luck to him he is probably right the EPL is probably too fast and too physical for him , there will always be another cheaper and better fit for us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.