Home thoughts from abroad:

Two Gun Bob

As we descended back through heavy cumulus into Mancunian airspace we hit dreadful turbulence.I screamed as one does when staring death in the face and the passengers surrounding me in row 26-32 screamed back in fatal recognition of that undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveller may ever return. And breaking those clouds oh,to be in England and an honour and a privilege to return to her safe bosum : /

Home thoughts from abroad:

And breaking the clouds
Oh, to be in England
Now that April’s there,
And whoever wakes in England
Sees, some morning, unaware,
That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
In England—now!

And after April, when May follows,
And the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows !
Hark, where my blossomed pear-tree in the hedge
Leans to the field and scatters on the clover
Blossoms and dewdrops—at the bent spray’s edge—
That’s the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
Lest you should think he never could recapture
The first fine careless rapture!
And though the fields look rough with hoary dew,
All will be gay when noontide wakes anew
The buttercups, the little children’s dower
Far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!

Is the grass always greener in foreign clime or have we all been programmed by holiday-esque Jet 2 matrixes and whelped and whipped into a fervoured vision of paradise that will break us free from life's unenviable drudgery as working class heroes.Sunsets romantic walks down the promenade emerald coloured seas or maybe just a heavy portion of Piehella and slip of the foreign tongue ? In fairness we could readily buy steak ale pie chips and peas on a tray with gravy and half a chicken and chips and full English breakfasts but only in our own quarter.If we ventured outside it reverted back to sardines fish pilchards more fish and tapas.Same with the entertainment as we had Shoe-waddy waddy Bruno and the Rodfather but outside it was just samba rumba line-dancing and more incessant warbling.

So without even knowing it is that paradise we all long for on our our own doorsteps awaiting continuous eye.The emphasis throughout that above poem is on the unconscious aspect of nature and our own unconscious enjoyment of it when we are surrounded by it every day and come to take it rather for granted.If we live in the hills we do not delve into its bosum intent on finding our inner self.If you live by the seaside you do not go for walks along the shore every morning.Its escapism pure and simple yet REAL beauty abounds nearer to home.

I really missed you England and our next holiday shall be in Blackpool come Easter.Better food better ambience better culture and then money permitting will be Whitby.Weather is not everything as we English folk do not heat up well.If its hot for more than a week then most of us yearn for a drop of rain to break it all up : / Seek and ye shall find.

Last edited:
I dreamed of that Green Green Grass of home whilst we were away from England's pleasant land.
Mother was an Englishman but I have a welsh last name for clarity yet am not remotely welsh.It transpired I was adopted by a man from the valleys however father had to leave early : /

Anyway I had an ancestry test and thankfully they found not a single sheep jean in me.

Last edited:
This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,--
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

R0KE3be.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.