Rabbi Matondo (signed for Shalke)

As I understand it, we’re getting a decent fee, a sell on clause and a realistic buyback option.

I think that his original club (Cardiff City) are getting square root of FA except for the development fee they received a couple of years ago.

I know it's not a huge fee, but that seems like some really good money for a player who has never played for our senior side.

I think the same thing, KC.

If the Academy cannot produce players good enough for our squad, the next best thing for it to do is bring through kids who can command the sort of transfer fee that we have received for Sancho and Matondo.

It’s a great piece of business, IMHO.

One or two will make it every 5-10 years the rest will be sold for very reasonable sums that help finance marquee signings.

It's a business model that currently works and helps us secure some of the best possible talent from the get-go or buy back deals/clauses/sell ons etc.

As Pep has already said, we can't force them to stay and neither should we. Good business imo.

Not surprising. We talk about the positives of the academy making money but there also has to be some success stories within the club. Mahrez for 60m or Sancho trusted with a squad place could have spun the wheel in the academy's favour. Garcia has had minutes, Foden too and Muric has been involved (plus Diaz might have stayed).

We could still have done the deal with Matondo and others but given those down the age groups a dream that they need in order to want to play somewhere. We are in danger, like Chelsea of losing players around 16 years of age, when they have absorbed the high quality training and education from the club and leave to make the step up to getting gametime. That investment of time, money and resources needs to be factored in.

We are not at crisis point yet but Pep does need to actively gice younger players a chance. At Barca he had a side that for years had included local talent. Their status means many a kid and world class talent alike will want to play there. We can honestly say it isn't the case at City. So to compete we have to find that balance. Liverpool have managed it with Alexander-Arnold and Gomez. Spurs have done a great job. But those two clubs have, up until now, won fuck all for a long time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.