Movie Discussion Thread | Upcoming Releases etc..

TCIB

A good few of us have a lot of thoughts on cinema in general so this thread hopefully stops us hijacking "last film you saw" thread.

So what is on your mind besides wanting to see Kennedy and Johnson's head on a pike next to Ned Stark. Will Disney have the balls for an r-rated arm of their tv and film franchises?

Whats good, whats bad, got a detailed review of a film or critique? here is the place for that :-)

I can imagine people will get sick of me on here with my fixation on The Joker movie. I am desperate to see it and be satisfied with this bold effort.

Disney could have a thread on it's own now with how vast it's media empire is. I think 90% of focus in hollywood is what their next move is. If they do find the guts to have an r-rated branch then a lot of smaller studios could find themselves in serious trouble. It was an area of film making Disney up to now have not even entertained the idea of. It will at minimum force others to be more imaginative/bolder in order to keep their head above water let alone flourish.

Disney will just push any R rated stuff under the Marvel, Fox or DMN names or a different sub, they've been doing it for the last 30-40 years without anyone associating it with them.

Fox did Logan they only just bought the rights to Deadpool. They could use hulu but the closest they get to r-rated is Pirates of the Caribbean currently. I think you are referring to companies like Miramax who were also strong armed by their parent company to wind their necks in, Farenheit 9/11 for example. They were told in no uncertain terms do as demanded or Disney were simply not going to release it. They have sold them now anyway. They do own touchstone pictures but i believe the last r-rated film under any subsidiary was 2013.

They have doubled down now though on their family friendly approach as of the last 5 or so years. This has shown no sign of change. Remember Disney now own the rights to Alien, Predator to name a few. It is really these franchises people are worried about. The last Terminator for example was pg-13 and look how that turned out.

My main worry is they make a kick ass film then get cold feet. Dredd 2012 suffered from this badly, a fine film execs decided to bury because reasons. It's brutal and uncompromising style shit execs up and it was passed off to lionsgate to push and promote, quietly. Not sure if it was Disney who did that but that i think is what people don't want to see.

Fox did Logan they only just bought the rights to Deadpool. They could use hulu but the closest they get to r-rated is Pirates of the Caribbean currently. I think you are referring to companies like Miramax who were also strong armed by their parent company to wind their necks in, Farenheit 9/11 for example. They were told in no uncertain terms do as demanded or Disney were simply not going to release it. They have sold them now anyway. They do own touchstone pictures but i believe the last r-rated film under any subsidiary was 2013.

They have doubled down now though on their family friendly approach as of the last 5 or so years. This has shown no sign of change. Remember Disney now own the rights to Alien, Predator to name a few. It is really these franchises people are worried about. The last Terminator for example was pg-13 and look how that turned out.

My main worry is they make a kick ass film then get cold feet. Dredd 2012 suffered from this badly, a fine film execs decided to bury because reasons. It's brutal and uncompromising style shit execs up and it was passed off to lionsgate to push and promote, quietly. Not sure if it was Disney who did that but that i think is what people don't want to see.
Disney have confirmed Deadpool will remain R/18 rated. However that's the only franchise made by Disney which will have that rating

Disney bought Fox mostly to get their hands on the library of past material for online streaming, if they don't like franchises they'll sell or lease them to third parties.

Watched The Favourite the other night. Very good film and quite funny too. Sort of a mixture of The Other Boleyn Girl and the Draughtsmans Contract.

Olivia Coleman got lauded for it, and she was good, but besides some really good weighty scenes, I thought her character was lifted out of the Peep show to a degree.

8/10

Disney need to learn from the Deadpool and Logan films, there is definitely a huge market out there for that stuff, not everything has to be sunshine and roses. Now they have Fox I, looking forward to the xmen been brought into the Disney/marvel franchise of films as it seems the Phoenix film is in all kinds of bother.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.