Do you like trains?

As a mode of travel, not as good as a transporter, far better than flight or car.

Being able to move around, more comfortable, better views from the window, no waiting around in traffic or on the runway.
What's not to like.

Is that Burton Joyce station?

Enjoy getting the train, but the cost puts me off sometimes. Got to be in Reading this week; even booking in advance a return from Brum is just shy of £120 (standard class). Fucking outrageous when it will cost me about £35 in petrol to drive there and back. Also, when I go to London (usually about once a fortnight) if I book at the last minute (usually I have no choice) it can come to not far short of £200 (standard class). To me, this (along with countless other examples) demonstrates that the current business model isn’t working for the greater good.

Prefer getting the train to driving, not least because I can work on the train, which suits my lastminute.com working MO. I know things were far from perfect under British Rail, but that was nearly 40 years ago; many things didn’t work back then - public and private. The railways can’t be currently run in an efficient manner or I wouldn’t be eschewing getting the train to Reading because of the prohibitive cost. The railways and rolling stock should be in state hands and fares set at reasonable prices. This would mean people had more money in their pocket to spend on other things, to the benefit of the wider economy.

The current situation is a fucking disgrace.
I agree that the train is expensive to use, however I don't think that it would be significantly less costly to use if it were re-nationalised.
It would though, be more co-ordinated and reliable imo.

I agree that the train is expensive to use, however I don't think that it would be significantly less costly to use if it were re-nationalised.
It would though, be more co-ordinated and reliable imo.
I think you're right - up to a point. I would expect the overall cost to drop marginally, but I reckon the cost of inter city travel (as described) would drop significantly, as getting cars off the motorways has to be in the national interest.

Love train travel but not in this country as the pricing is shocking and inconsistent Recently travelled from arundel in west sussex to gatwick and it cost 30plus. My flight to Barcelona was only £8 more. And travelling on special buses most weekends is a farce.

When I was a kid in the 1960s my mam would take us to the local park.
A train line ran alongside it.
In those days some were 20 carriages long.
My mam would always say "Wave at the train".
So me and our kid would wave like lunatics at the passing train.
I still wave at trains to this day.
Am I alone in this ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.