Plummeting insect numbers 'threaten collapse of nature'

I read about this earlier
Why don't politicians, business etc i.e those in a position of influence do more? They have more money than most but even then they are not going to insulated from it all, they will still have to live on this planet

We've created a society that encourages and in many cases necessitates short term thinking. If you could buy shares in 'Saving the planet' and they gave the best return, we'd be breeding insects in every small nook and cranny available. As it is environmental protections are only considered if the act of not giving a shit will impact the ability to make money. Of course if we kill the planet no-one will make any money, but why would someone trying to make a million today care about not being able to make a million 100, 200 or 500 years from now? Some will, the very vast majority won't. It's too abstract an idea. Too easy to kick the can down the road. It will take an immediate and very large catastrophe to change the current system.

It's also something that everyone has to work towards. It's no good just saying politicians or the wealthy should do something. It's true that they're in positions of greater power and influence and thus shoulder greater responsibility, but being truthful about what the planet can support will hit the lifestyle of every person in every home, certainly in the developed world. And we need to be prepared when those politicians or wealthy turn around and say "We can fix it, but you all have to stop doing X and consuming Y".

We've created a society that encourages and in many cases necessitates short term thinking. If you could buy shares in 'Saving the planet' and they gave the best return, we'd be breeding insects in every small nook and cranny available. As it is environmental protections are only considered if the act of not giving a shit will impact the ability to make money. Of course if we kill the planet no-one will make any money, but why would someone trying to make a million today care about not being able to make a million 100, 200 or 500 years from now? Some will, the very vast majority won't. It's too abstract an idea. Too easy to kick the can down the road. It will take an immediate and very large catastrophe to change the current system.

It's also something that everyone has to work towards. It's no good just saying politicians or the wealthy should do something. It's true that they're in positions of greater power and influence and thus shoulder greater responsibility, but being truthful about what the planet can support will hit the lifestyle of every person in every home, certainly in the developed world. And we need to be prepared when those politicians or wealthy turn around and say "We can fix it, but you all have to stop doing X and consuming Y".
I've got a feeling this summer could be the one to tip us onto the path of 'oh fuck, we need to sort this out'. Temperatures went mad last year, and this year is an el nino year, meaning even more energy in the atmosphere to send things a bit pear shaped.

Need to start leaving dead carcasses out in public for them to lay eggs in and feed on then

When my old fella was born there was 1.8 billion people in the world when I was born there was 3 billion today there's 7.7 billion which is the only answer as to why everything else is struggling to survive on planet earth, its the truth that no government has the balls to face up to.

Last edited:
Latest Trump tweet: "Well it happened again. I Saw a bunch of Spiders out-side in the Rose Garden today right near where Crazy Jim Acosta was talking about the decline in inseckts on Fake News CNN. Look at all the Webs, Jim!"
Presumably, Trump is unaware that spiders are not insects.

Fuck me, is there any thread Trump doesn't make it to?

As for insects, well, they're not cuddly are they so no one will give a fuck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.