'Killing The Game' new book

The book title is, I think, an ironic dig at those who claim City have been Killing The Game. It's got interviews with key people - including Sheikh Mansour - and for that reason it is definitely not anti-City. In fact those that like to laugh at City probably say it's too supportive of the club, but give it a read and make your own mind up.
Good to know... very misleading title though :-)

I bought your book Stop Making Sense (?) many years ago & I seem to remember that it got an absolute slating by one reviewer on MCVITA :)

I tried to take this to PM but was unable to contact you that way. You're going back a fair bit there. I remember it well, though, because I was quite angry about it. Not because it got a slating, but because the 'reviewer' clearly hadn't read the book and because it then emerged that the 'review' had been submitted under a pseudonym from an email address that wasn't on the subscription list, in contravention of the well-established ethos of MCIVTA. I could say more, but no point in raking up stuff that's long, and best, forgotten.

I’ve just read it and it’s very pro-City, which shouldn’t come as a surprise given the author’s connection to Abu Dhabi.

To be fair, he doesn’t make any attempt to hide this and admits that’s it’s a very sympathetic view in the foreword. Without that connection though it’s highly unlikely he would have got the access he did so it’s swings & roundabouts. There’s a bit of mutual back-slapping and there are a couple of bits where I reckon that we’re being told what Abu Dhabi want us to know rather than what actually happened but aside from that it’s a very interesting read. There’s some cracking stories about the early days of the takeover and a particularly funny one about Vicky Kloss and her United-supporting husband after the 6-1. The narrative around the setting up of NYCFC is really fascinating.

I doubt many Liverpool fans will be buying it but definitely a good read.

Having myself queried, before I read the book, whether the self-proclaimed pro-City viewpoint of the author might make the book a whitewash that was better ignored, I fully agree with PB's take. It's definitely not an impartial account, but the author's quite open about that. I'd say it's one for City fans rather than the neutral, but there's definitely enough material that isn't widely known to make it worth Blues getting hold of it, IMO.

I tried to take this to PM but was unable to contact you that way. You're going back a fair bit there. I remember it well, though, because I was quite angry about it. Not because it got a slating, but because the 'reviewer' clearly hadn't read the book and because it then emerged that the 'review' had been submitted under a pseudonym from an email address that wasn't on the subscription list, in contravention of the well-established ethos of MCIVTA. I could say more, but no point in raking up stuff that's long, and best, forgotten.

Hence the smiley at the end of my comment. I remember the ‘reviewer’ went on to claim that around 120 people had emailed him to agree that your book was a load of shite....

Having myself queried, before I read the book, whether the self-proclaimed pro-City viewpoint of the author might make the book a whitewash that was better ignored, I fully agree with PB's take. It's definitely not an impartial account, but the author's quite open about that. I'd say it's one for City fans rather than the neutral, but there's definitely enough material that isn't widely known to make it worth Blues getting hold of it, IMO.
It is sadly all too easy for people to hide behind pseudonyms and slate a book in a review. For me any book written by a Blue should be encouraged if it provides a different angle, approach, new material etc. I also think that anyone writing a negative review should put their own name against it.

It is sadly all too easy for people to hide behind pseudonyms and slate a book in a review. For me any book written by a Blue should be encouraged if it provides a different angle, approach, new material etc. I also think that anyone writing a negative review should put their own name against it.

Patrick Barclay is writing my review for me.

Reactions: SVP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.