Declan Rice

Huh. I thought Jorginho was supposed to be shit.
I think these sorts of stats actually indicate how poorly each of these players' midfield colleagues have been playing. If your defensive midfielder is having to win the ball back as often as five/six times a match it does suggest they're excellent at putting out fires, but it also means his teammates further forward aren't doing their job of pressing the opposition defenders properly. There was a great piece on Football Whispers during our dip in form over Christmas (when Fernandinho was missing) that basically suggested we lost against Palace and Leicester because of problems we'd been having for weeks, and that Fern had already been working overtime due to the lack of work being done by the midfielders in front of him. Have a read: https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/fernandinho-workload-city-press-faltering

Jorginho might be winning the ball back for his team but he's only having to do so because Kante and Barkley/Kovacic aren't winning it before it reaches him.

I think these sorts of stats actually indicate how poorly each of these players' midfield colleagues have been playing. If your defensive midfielder is having to win the ball back as often as five/six times a match it does suggest they're excellent at putting out fires, but it also means his teammates further forward aren't doing their job of pressing the opposition defenders properly. There was a great piece on Football Whispers during our dip in form over Christmas (when Fernandinho was missing) that basically suggested we lost against Palace and Leicester because of problems we'd been having for weeks, and that Fern had already been working overtime due to the lack of work being done by the midfielders in front of him. Have a read: https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/fernandinho-workload-city-press-faltering

Jorginho might be winning the ball back for his team but he's only having to do so because Kante and Barkley/Kovacic aren't winning it before it reaches him.

How do you think he would have performed playing with our midfield?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.