Do you like trains?

Tornado is on main line today. Plenty of semi's being nursed at Doncaster for it.

Happened to be in Skipton a couple of years ago the day it came in, tis a beauty.

My Dad worked as a stoker, before I was born. His tales and passion for trains must've had an effect as I enjoy train travel. There is something special about the sight and sounds of a steam engine.

I remember waiting for 5 hours at Cleethorpes for the Mallard to pass through. The excitement built as the minutes ticked by, I made sure my camera was ready, checking the light constantly and practicing when other trains passed so that I would be ready. I had a flask and butties, everything was ready. there were 13 of us, all waiting. We didn't mind the rain, ok we had to wipe the lens every now and again to make sure the shot would be pristine but hey that's what we do. I thought back to when I was 13, the rest of my mates were ogling Kylie Minogue but my heart was with the Mallard and here I was 20 years later, the Mallard...…….

and then I went for a piss.

ah well it will be back in 20 years or so.

. I thought back to when I was 13, the rest of my mates were ogling Kylie Minogue but my heart was with the Mallard and here I was 20 years later, the Mallard...…….
and then I went for a piss.

ah well it will be back in 20 years or so.
lol. You will fool many there musty but when you were 13 it was probably Kylie's gran you were ogling mate; )

Ahhhh, trains. I grew up with a train line at the end of the garden. Seemingly I used to run out with a spoon as I thought the steam/smoke was mashed potato... All very railway children, standing on the fence waving with pant wetting if the driver blew his whistle.

My uncle was a fireman on Mallard and loved taking the young This! chaps to York (no, not THAT trip) and standing on the same footplate.

We used to go to Dinting back in the olden days and saw the Flying Scotsman there on its tour of the uk (what's with the new number, what was wrong with 4472?)

Howarth/worth valley too and saw the Evening Star (now also at York) 92220.

I sold my 00 gauge to get an N gauge set up from an ad in the back of the evening news.

I used to love trains (cap doffed at the Casey Jones reference earlier)

Diesels are bastards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.