Do you like trains?

I lived in the Bay Area in college and really loved the BART & C-TRAN services provided there. You can literally go anywhere within a couple of miles from whatever destination your interested in. My hometown's tram system is much more limiting despite the whole fucking thing costing billions of dollars.

Which is exactly why so much nationalised industry went down the shitter.

Depends, if you have a government that believes in nationalosed train induustry and employ the best and funs it, it could work.

If as thatcher did you inderfund it to breaking point and put in people deaigned to let it fail, people will cry out for a competition based private system, until it fails

Depends, if you have a government that believes in nationalosed train induustry and employ the best and funs it, it could work.

If as thatcher did you inderfund it to breaking point and put in people deaigned to let it fail, people will cry out for a competition based private system, until it fails

It was under-funded long before Thatcher. A consistent failing of nationalisation was successive governments putting off strategic funding decisions in favour of expedient populist spending. Consequently, everything eventually gets run into the ground. Does anyone realistically think (after the Brexit shenanigans) we now have the calibre of politicians in any party who are fit to run a whelk stall or who would think 5 or 10 years ahead?

Furthermore, nationalised industry was plagued with union barons, striking workers, piss-weak management and “me first, customer last” mentality.

No thanks.

I'm not in love with trains per-se.

But I find some of the train documentaries fascinating for some reason.

And bullet-trains... wow... I wish that they were more prevalent in the States where I live.
===
So overall - yeah, I like trains. :-)

I've got the DVD box set collection of the British Transport Films, they are fascinatingly brilliant and a few bring back some great memories of train spotting in the 60's for a 65 year old like me.

Maybe a few of you youngsters may like them too. Some are on youtube.

Reactions: mat
I've got the DVD box set collection of the British Transport Films, they are fascinatingly brilliant and a few bring back some great memories of train spotting in the 60's for a 65 year old like me.

Maybe a few of you youngsters may like them too. Some are on youtube.

The Deltic one is really good too. In colour as well.

A bit of railway history gone as my TOC has removed the Metro Cammell footplates from our refurbished 156 DMU's and replaced with what looks like wood painted yellow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.