Champions League Games 5/6 March

Agree with a lot of that to be fair but totally disagree with your opinion on the Clattenburg/Sterling incident. My main issue is that did last night's decision equate to a clear and obvious error as those are the ones that VAR is supposed to overturn. Now if a new directive has been given to refs by UEFA to always give a penalty in those situations then I can understand why he had to give a pen but I'd like to know if this directive has been communicated to the media at some point in the form of a statement or is it a behind closed doors thing? If it's the former then again, fair enough, but if it's the latter then that opens it up to all kinds of manipulation. Personally, I thought we were much harder done by against Schalke the other week as the ref didn't even have access to a replay so I'm struggling to see how he could overturn that one. Surely if one part of the process isn't functioning then it stays with the on-field ref?

I'm still largely in favour of VAR but only if it's implemented correctly. I think over the course of a full Premier League season we'd benefit more often than not. Take the incident against Chelsea a couple of seasons ago for example when Wythenshawe's one and only Altrincham fan was about to blow up for a foul by David Luiz on Aguero when he was clean through then mysteriously allowed play to go on to the astonishment of everybody. If VAR was in existence, they'd find it impossible to not instruct Taylor to give a foul and a red card even if it was Mike Riley and Peter Walton in charge of the VAR side of things.
Clearly VAR in England is being implemented in a completely different way where the "clear and obvious error" element is absolutely paramount. So here it seems almost impossible to overturn a referee's decision and those incidents v Chelsea would just have remained unchanged IMO, certainly if VAR was implemented in the way it has been in our domestic cups. The farce of the ref not having the footage aside in the Schalke match, I'd say neither were even close to being pens but the PSG one was even less of a pen than the Otamendi one IMO. Far less in fact.

Was this new rule even clarified after our match v Schalke or do we just need to take the utter robbery we saw last night as a tacit clarification?

After our match Uefa said they were going to clarify the 'handball' situation within the week. I took it that anything remotely resembling Otters' 'handball' would henceforth be sanctioned as a corner. Seems not! But the outcome re Uefa and the LotG is beginning to resemble a cesspit! The LotG were perfectly adequate to deal with both those incidents at Schalke and Paris, and both decisions would have returned no penalty, but a corner! Both episodes, and the way the law regarding handball has been turned upside down and inside out just reflects that Uefa want certain outcomes for their competition. Stink just doesn't do the incidents justice!

It's not insignificant that the two clubs who have battled Uefa over FFP have been 'done' on the pitch! Our turn next week. With the exception of Eddie I suggest that our outfield players have two or three of those leg elastic band thingies put round their torsos to keep their arms well and truly next to their bodies. Mind, the whistling Uefa placed wanker will no doubt resort to other penal offences if handball isn't available. No coughing in the South Stand - yer'll trip up a Schalke forward!!

This is the thing, if PSG are wining the game comfortably that penalty never gets given, if it’s at the other end it never gets given,
i was all for VAR but after our game and what we saw last night it just gives UEFA more power to ensure their agenda is rammed home, before VAR the Champions League was one bent stinking pile of shit for me, after recent events it stinks even worse, i for one wouldn’t shed a tear if we never win it and if we could get away with not even bothering with it I wouldn’t complain
Totally agree with every word.

Nope. The ref and VAR officials purposely knew there would be a ball to hand incident in the 92nd minute. All part of the conspiracy.
Yeah, why be subtle at this stage of implementation. The fact remains that decisions are being made that probably 80% of those watching would not have given - even/especially with the benefit of this supposed technology.
Have all the technology you want, but unless the interpretation on any given day by a person (a virtually anonymous one) of any given allegiance, influence or indeed emotion is taken out - it will always be open to even more problems than the old system of the 3 officials.
I don't think I've ever watched a sport (no matter how detached I am from either side) and not during the contest ended up preferring one to the other - factor this normal human trait in with the above factors and it is a ridiculous imposition on a game that didn't need it.
Yes officials can be bent - but you've more chance of exposing that than you have with a system which, whether by accident or design, aides and abets covering up, leniency to one side, and possible cheating.

Last edited:
Starting to look like the Premier league will have half the semi-finalists, if the Scum can win in Paris then the Bus Wreckers should be able to do the same in Germany.

UEFA will then have to make certain we are all drawn against each other with their two darlings kept apart.

Quarter finals:
  • Scum v Spurs
  • Scousers v MCFC
  • Porto v Barcelona
  • Ajax v A. Madrid
After those results in Madrid and Paris I wouldn’t be taking anything for granted.

After our match Uefa said they were going to clarify the 'handball' situation within the week. I took it that anything remotely resembling Otters' 'handball' would henceforth be sanctioned as a corner. Seems not! But the outcome re Uefa and the LotG is beginning to resemble a cesspit! The LotG were perfectly adequate to deal with both those incidents at Schalke and Paris, and both decisions would have returned no penalty, but a corner! Both episodes, and the way the law regarding handball has been turned upside down and inside out just reflects that Uefa want certain outcomes for their competition. Stink just doesn't do the incidents justice!
So did they clarify it within the week or not? I didn't see anything but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, I suppose. And presumably (going on last night) if they did clarify it then they made a media announcement to say that anything hitting the arm in the area, deliberate or not, is going to be a penalty? The fact that the timeline was that the Otamendi incident happened and then they started talking about clarifying the handball rule pretty much confirms what Clattenburg said - this new rule was literally introduced at the point the Otamendi handball was given and there had been no clarification of this new rule prior to that moment. In the middle of arguably the most prestigious club competition in the world. That is fucking shocking IMO. Even putting aside the shadiness of the sudden implementation of this new rule, I'm sorry but if that last night is now a handball then the game is significantly ruined because all that is doing is introducing an element of random jeopardy into the top level of football. They may as well stop the match, toss a coin and give one of the teams a penalty.

Without VAR, it would not have made a footnote in the match report, let alone be the game defining moment. I agree with football is fixed:

Football is being taken over by corrupt refs, agents and bookies.
Football is fixed is fighting the battle for the ordinary fan before the game is completely lost

Reactions: mat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.