Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect him and pep have an agreement that he doesn't pick him for a while,pep has learnt how the media treat young city players

Or because he barely plays first team football Southgate can't really pick him yet for a team that's done fairly well recently.

I've mentioned this before, but nobody should be unhappy with his current minutes this season. Could he get more? Sure, but is he getting a decent amount anyways? Yes, and to the people saying he doesn't start games in the league, he is still only 19 and we are all clearly seeing David Silva regress these past few years. With Gundogan doing a good job as the DM, we can have Phil, Kevin and Bernardo in the 2 CM spots with David featuring much less.

Wouldn't be shocked if Phil got almost 2000 minutes next season.
He is 18.

So what is your interpretation of a WC footballer?
To me, it's simple- a world class player is an incredibly good one. That way there's no limit.

The other interpretation is flawed because then you'd be saying Aguero isn't world class because he wouldn't get into a world's best XI, which is just absurd.

It’s hard not to get carried away by Foden’s talent.

The way in which he effortlessly glides past players is reminiscent of the likes of Kaka and Merlin.

I think he has the potential to be one of the best midfielders of his generation.
Agreed.
His debut ,in the pre season friendly against utd in front of 80k fans..he was gliding past utd international midfielders like they weren,t there..leaving them trailing in his wake..utd won 2nil but nobody was talking about pogba etc after the game..all the talk was about Foden,leading to Peps famous " i,m speechless " post match interview.

Fodens next game we smashed Real Madrid 4-1,again in front of a big crowd and this game.. like the 1st ...seemed to be played at break neck speed for a pre season friendly...Foden found it more difficult ,but still demanded the ball at every opportunity and kept trying to take the game to Madrid.

Fast forward 2 years,wembley against Chelsea,and the lad is breaking from central midfield on a surging 40 yard run to play sergio in for the opener...a decent performance ,after a nervous start,against experienced international players..

The Oxford utd manager said after the league cup tie( 1 goal,1 assist) "the lad was surrounded by 3 of my players,i blinked and he,d simply ran straight past all of them..i couldnt believe it"...how rare is it these days for a manager to praise an opposition player ?

The talent is there for all to see,hard work and more experience and i agree,he could become one of the best players of his generation.
Imo ,he is already englands best ball playing midfielder, due ,in part, to the paucity of creative players available to Southgate.

To me, it's simple- a world class player is an incredibly good one. That way there's no limit.

The other interpretation is flawed because then you'd be saying Aguero isn't world class because he wouldn't get into a world's best XI, which is just absurd.
There are lots of incredibly good footballers out there, I think you have a low bar set with your interpretation. For me I tend to think is there anyone better in that position and if there are, the person you are considering isn't WC.

There are too many variables to have a definitive description of what a WC player has in his locker

There are lots of incredibly good footballers out there, I think you have a low bar set with your interpretation. For me I tend to think is there anyone better in that position and if there are, the person you are considering isn't WC.

There are too many variables to have a definitive description of what a WC player has in his locker

I agree with you. World class is a benchmark for the player that performs consistently but shines in the biggest of occasions. Salah is a quality player but isn't world class because his scoring record against top opposition shows he can be stopped. Ronaldo and Messi always step up on the big occasion. Sergio does too. He has almost single handedly won us games. Against Bayern in the CL. Hat tricks against Arsenal and Chelsea in the league. His winner against QPR.

This is going to be controversial, but it is my biggest criticism of Silva. I think in the biggest games he doesn't tend to step up and blow the opposition away as he does in most others. He is undoubtedly one our best ever players but if you think of when we have had big games with everything at stake I don't think he has dominated as he usually does. In the way a comparable player like Iniesta did for Spain and Barcelona.

It is why, when looking at Gerrard or Lampard you would say Lampard was more consistent but Gerrard would get your vote in the biggest occasion. He would drag the team to victory. He did slip once though! It is why Van Dijk still cannot be considered World Class but Kompany and Ramos are.

For me, the "could Messi do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke" is stupid. The world class criteria is "can he do it in a Champions League final when his team need a goal". Yes he fucking can. Aguero can. Ronaldo can. Defensively Kompany and Ramos can. Gerrard could.

What about if you were picking a 30 man provisional squad for Earth in the inter-planetary games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.