School outrage?...

york away to this!

This is a bit fecked up.

The eldest This! chap is a bit of a long-haired, grungy teen. He's always been ok to be a bit "different" in the face of other nippers calling him a girl (since primary) - he's just prepping for GCSEs

The school have been actively promoting a leavers' yearbook for sale. Turns out the students voted on a number of categories and the eldest and rather shy and retiring This! was one of the nominees for "worst girls' haircut"...

At best the school have failed to monitor and manage the process - at worst they're pretty much condoning and supporting mild bullying at a vital time in the students' lives.

I'm really, really pissed off and the publication has been pulled from the printers today.

I'm aware that I was brought up in a school full of merciless piss-taking and bullying, though thought the world had moved on?

My question is, what are next year's categories?

Answers on a post card please...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can totally see why you'd be pissed off as a parent at this.

However, I'd be having a word with my lad about the hair and making sure it's kept fashionable but presentable. I only say this as a fair few of my mates at that age had similar hair dos, including my now best mate (his driving licence photo from aged 16 he looks like the white Rick James). It doesn't do anything for self confidence or attracting the opposite sex, and is basically asking to be taken the piss out of.

Don't take that the wrong way, it's entirely up to you how you handle these situations with your kids. I just speak from experience of a lot of my mates who had similar issues at that age, and now look back to their peers and parents and say 'why didn't you tell me I looked like such a dickhead? And I'd have cut my hair'.

It's a horrible age, and you have to be aware more than ever these days due to social media and fashion trends being so readily available. I was very much my own personality in school, I had mates from playing sports, and mates who were into rock music and played in bands etc., Thankfully I kept my hair short though and managed to adapt to the different crowds and environments.

I was constantly bullied at school. I was punched every day and robbed of my dinner money (by the same person), i nearly starved to death.
In the end i decided to talk to him as to why he thought it ok to do it. He confessed that he was having trouble at home. I forgave him, but did say that i thought being a headmaster was maybe the wrong job for him...

I have a few questions.

Are you American?

Did you get it pulled?

Is your lad/ lass ok with people mentioning his girly hair?

Are you more upset that he/ she didn't win?

Next year's should contain "Best Parent Intervention for their Precious Child."

Hes at a difficult age so maybe time for a straight shooting heart to to heart parental guidance session.

jK60iQI.gif

I was voted most likely to end up in prison. This was based on coming from a less than nice area and going to school in a nicer area. I never did by the way and my parents didn't get upset either. That yearbook will be a dust collector as the years go by, and also doubles up as a skinning up tray.

I was voted most likely to end up in prison. This was based on coming from a less than nice area and going to school in a nicer area. I never did by the way and my parents didn't get upset either. That yearbook will be a dust collector as the years go by, and also doubles up as a skinning up tray.

Are you a mafia don?

Leavers yearbook at British schools? Our leaving was get your shirt signed, burn your books, get pissed and never ever think about the years of hell endured ever again. Why put it in print as a constant reminder?

Anyway, yes in today's terms it would be classed as mild bullying and you could go down that route. Unless he's absolutely upset about it, I'd be trying to explain how life can be odd and whilst it isn't right to mock other people's appearance, it is important to know that not everyone is capable of understanding this, even (possibly especially) adults. The skill is knowing when to be upset about something, and, for me, if he's happy with his hair, that's the most important thing, not what others think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.