Building/structural question

Ric

Administrator
This is probably a stupid question, so you’ll have to bear with me as I’m a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to these things.

Moved house 18 months ago, and the previous owners built an L-shaped (two storey) extension on the back of the house but left the original external wall in. Means we’ve got that wall, complete with window and patio doors, still inside the house which looks a bit shit. Had quotes to remove the entire wall, but it’s very expensive (circa £15k) because of the load it’s bearing.

Can’t afford that, so now we’re thinking of just removing the window and patio doors to open it up a bit. Can we just go ahead and do that ourselves, or will they be bearing any of the weight above?

This is probably a stupid question, so you’ll have to bear with me as I’m a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to these things.

Moved house 18 months ago, and the previous owners built an L-shaped (two storey) extension on the back of the house but left the original external wall in. Means we’ve got that wall, complete with window and patio doors, still inside the house which looks a bit shit. Had quotes to remove the entire wall, but it’s very expensive (circa £15k) because of the load it’s bearing.

Can’t afford that, so now we’re thinking of just removing the window and patio doors to open it up a bit. Can we just go ahead and do that ourselves, or will they be bearing any of the weight above?
You'll be fine, the doors and windows have no structural purpose

Reactions: Ric
Three's a crowd, what the other two guys said are correct, the window and doors hold no structural load or purpose.

To save costs but a better outcome might be to partially remove the wall, you'd need to fix an RSJ (I-beam) to hold the load, and make an archway as such. Or a vertical pillar for a more open plan look. Seems strange that the previous owners built such a large extension without doing anything about this load bearing wall.

had a similar situation, had the same advice as posted on here. Two things, first one was the dust that was created, spread everywhere, would suggest copious amounts of polythene sheets to confine it, secondly, what to do with the bricks when removed, mine had been installed with "black mortar" apparently, which meant virtually every brick ended up as rubble. Goggles and a dusk mask obvs :)

had a similar situation, had the same advice as posted on here. Two things, first one was the dust that was created, spread everywhere, would suggest copious amounts of polythene sheets to confine it, secondly, what to do with the bricks when removed, mine had been installed with "black mortar" apparently, which meant virtually every brick ended up as rubble. Goggles and a dusk mask obvs :)

Does that mean he can only do the job as evening falls?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.