1969 FA Cup Final - 50 years ago today! (26/4)

As others have said already,a very small ticket allocation from the FA ,abd Dad and me didn't have season tickets back then,so we thought we had virtually no chance of getting tickets.
But as with a lot of things in life,it isn't what you know,but who you know.
Dad was a milkman on Upper Crumpsall and one of his customers was Mr. Kay who happened to be a steward in the Main Stand at Maine Road.
He knew that Dad and me were keen City fans,and he eventually agreed to sell 2 spare tickets to Dad at face value.
We got a coach down to Wembley,to see City beat Leicester City. The crowning moment in a great season for me as a 12 year old City fan. I had managed to attend each FA Cup round that season,starting with Luton at home,then going to Newcastle home and away, Blackburn away when the game was eventually played due to bad weather after multiple postponements,Spurs in the 6th Round and then going to Villa Park for the semi-final vs Everton.(We had to leave the game around the 85th minute as Dad had to get back to Manchester to be at work at The New Elizabethan Ballroom at @ 7.30pm,so we missed out on seeing Tommy Booth's header in the 89th minute).
Just as well you left mate if you were waiting for a Tommy Booth headed goal that day you'd have been there quite some time.......

We somehow managed to ‘acquire’ a colour telly for the game and we had a houseful round. I was only 4 years old and my sister who was almost 2 so rather than have us mithering everyone we were sent out of the way upstairs. My late Mums birthday was the 29th so a double celebration was anticipated. Every time I see the winning goal it reminds me what happened next in our little 2 up 2 down in Salford. I run to the top of the stairs wondering what the commotion downstairs was, my sister also came rushing, unfortunately slap bang into me which meant I went arse over tit right down the stairs!! They planted me on my bed until after the game, I can still remember feeling like shit, eventually my mum, from the phone box down the road, rang an ambulance and I ended up in Pendlebury Hospital for a week with a hairline fracture of the skull. Priorities right I suppose.
The telly had disappeared by the time I got out so I never got to see anything on the bloody thing. Worse still my Mum had bought a load of cakes in honour of her birthday and I never got one of those either.
The whole sorry episode for yours truly just makes me love City even more, don’t know why and don’t bloomin’ care. Roll on May 18.

Just as well you left mate if you were waiting for a Tommy Booth headed goal that day you'd have been there quite some time.......
I read afterwards that Booth had scored from a corner,and must have assumed that because he was a big,tall centre-half he had headed the ball in from the corner. But in the papers on the Sunday morning it showed Tommy slamming the ball into the net,after Buzzer had headed the ball down from the corner.
It was half a century ago after all.

I read afterwards that Booth had scored from a corner,and must have assumed that because he was a big,tall centre-half he had headed the ball in from the corner. But in the papers on the Sunday morning it showed Tommy slamming the ball into the net,after Buzzer had headed the ball down from the corner.
It was half a century ago after all.
I know as a starry eyed 10 year old i went to Luton Newcastle replay and spurs in quarters got fired off by my Dad and his mate for semi and final so I was sulking a bit watching the highlights.

I know as a starry eyed 10 year old i went to Luton Newcastle replay and spurs in quarters got fired off by my Dad and his mate for semi and final so I was sulking a bit watching the highlights.
Funnily enough it was one of my Dads work colleagues (a fellow musician at Belle Vue) who kindly took me to the Newcastle away and Blackburn away games as Dad was working on the milk round on Saturday mornings. And we then went to Villa Park in his car. He was one of those guys who loved going to football matches,and apparently had a season ticket at Maine Road AND Old Trafford,which was not unheard of in those days.

Watched it on tv with my mam and dad. Unbelievable joy when nelly scored. A great day.
Enjoy these days blues cos they won't last forever. Nothing does.

My dad bought us two tickets from a ‘barrow boy’ on Oldham Street market.
The tickets were 10 shillings each but he had paid £7 10s for them, 15x face value! He bought season tickets the following year as they were guaranteed Cup Final tickets. Didn’t get there again till 81, and mum was on the Supporters Club exec we had no problem with tickets.

Mum joined us for the journey down, parked at Stanmore at got the tube in.
When we got in the ground we found we were actually in the Leicester end.

Players came out, handshakes national anthem etc and then from nowhere mum appeared.
She had spent the last half an hour trying to buy a ticket from a tout in the specific block we were in. The tout was going from one mate to another to see if they had the block she wanted and eventually he found one. Sold it to her for £3, less than half dad had paid.

Glory days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.