1969 FA Cup Final - 50 years ago today! (26/4)

I was 9 and for me, it was the first time I saw City actually play, albeit on an old black and white TV at my friend's house. It kind of cemented my live. And yes, I adored that red and black kit, even though I saw it as black and dark grey that day...

Very early in the spring to be playing the FA Cup Final.

Any particular reason @Mad Eyed Screamer or @Gary James ?
No idea..... I think that the season ended earlier in those days. European competitions had something like 4 rounds and it was the final. It was the FA Cup on the Saturday, European Cup on the Wednesday and the Home Internationals the following Saturday / Wednesday / Saturday. I always used to think the Home Internationals were at the beginning of May.

What is interesting is that when City won the Cup in 69, we were still also the current League Champions from 68 (hence that picture of Tony Book with the League, FA Cup and Charity Shield together! Sorry can't post it)
Leeds won the League (I think) on the Monday so for the two days, City held all three trophies!

Last edited:
No idea..... I think that the season ended earlier in those days. European competitions had something like 4 rounds and it was the final. It was the FA Cup on the Saturday, European Cup on the Wednesday and the Home Internationals the following Saturday / Wednesday / Saturday. I always used to think the Home Internationals were at the beginning of May.

What is interesting is that when City won the Cup in 69, we were still also the current League Champions from 68 (hence that picture of Tony Book with the League, FA Cup and Charity Shield together! Sorry can't post it)
Leeds won the League (I think) on the Monday so for the two days, City held all three trophies!
I’ve wondered for a while the logistics of that photo. Never joined the dots. Thanks for that.

Talking of the European Cup on a Wednesday, my mum and dad went to the Epsom Derby and the European Cup Final at Wembley on the same day, in May 1968, when both sporting occasions were mid-week. Dad was seriously in the up at this point and would have spent lavishly. Like father, like son. My mum backed the winner, Sir Ivor, ridden by Lester Piggott.

Notwithstanding the rag element, that’s an amazing sporting day out.

Sorry to say I don't remember the match personally as I was 1 day old at the time.

According to family history though that was the day I was always going to be a blue.

Thanks Dad,
Ha ha
My father missed my birth due to the fact City played and won 3-1 away at Burnley.

Bit crazy as it was a Tuesday.
Fans who moan about not playing on a Saturday at 3pm and think it is a modern thing should consider I was born in 1960 ffs.

On a plus side my family are crazy blues and as a kid I was taken to loads of Citys biggest games.
European aways back in the sixties and seventies were crazy hard to get to but as a 9 year old were unbelievable.
So my family and my father more than made it up to me. Mum even gave up moaning in the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.