Champions League 2019/2020 season

You have to go for the league and champions league, you can't go all out to win a cup comp over the league when so much luck is involved. Go for every trophy and see what we end up with like his year. At least away goals don't count next year as Pep didn't seem to know about them anyway

Include the FA Cup in that too. We have won 4 League Cups in the last 6 years. We can certainly take the Carabao less seriously. Leicester rested their players in the LC game against us and lost, and won the PL game the very next week going full strength. When mid-table teams are only giving it that much importance, it isn't a crime for us to do the same. Nobody now talks about Klopp exiting both competitions in the first round as they are in the final stages of the biggest competitions.

Include the FA Cup in that too. We have won 4 League Cups in the last 6 years. We can certainly take the Carabao less seriously. Leicester rested their players in the LC game against us and lost, and won the PL game the very next week going full strength. When mid-table teams are only giving it that much importance, it isn't a crime for us to do the same. Nobody now talks about Klopp exiting both competitions in the first round as they are in the final stages of the biggest competitions.

Never cared much about that carabao
Pot 1 if we win the league, 2 if 2nd. No one gets pot 1 withing winning the league or one of the UEFA cups.

Cl winner also goes to pot 1.so both we and Liverpool could end up in pot 1.

Said it yesterday, the day before and every other day before that for years. The Champions League is the best set of Emperor's New Clothes you will ever see. The winner is supposedly the best club side in Europe, or so we are led to believe! Just a quick glance at this year's finalist will show 2 teams, Spurs and Liverpool, who qualified for the 'Champions' League by finishing 23 and 25 points behind their own domestic League Champions. The same teams barely escaped their group with Liverpool losing half their group games a boasting a 33% loss rate in the tournament to date, whilst Spurs amassed a grand total of 8 points in their group and finished with a negative goal difference.

Even more bizarrely the 'Champions' League in its current format was 'created' in 1993. In that time the 2 teams who will contest the final of this greatest of misnomers, have never even been 'Champions' of the domestic leagues! Wait a minute, let me think about that.... we are about to have a 'Champions' League final contested by teams who have never been domestic champions in the life of this competition?

I rest my case that the Premier League is by far the most difficult league and the only league worth winning and that the 'Champions' League is a UEFA money spinning and media fuelled illusion to satisfy the cartel of their own importance.

Even more bizarrely the 'Champions' League in its current format was 'created' in 1993. In that time the 2 teams who will contest the final of this greatest of misnomers, have never even been 'Champions' of the domestic leagues! Wait a minute, let me think about that.... we are about to have a 'Champions' League final contested by teams who have never been domestic champions in the life of this competition?.

This is why this competition means little to me, and has since they changed it, prestigous yes, one to win yes, stupidly used to judge a clubs ability yes, be all and end all no.

I want us to win it, as it will always be used as a stick to beat us if we don't, but as a measure of the best team in europe it's a load of bollocks.

Thisnis why this competition means lottle to me, and has since they changed it, prestigous yes, one to win yes, stupidly used to judge a clubs ability yes, be all and emd all no.

I want us to win ot, as it will always be used as a stick to beat us if we don't, but as a measure of the best team in europe it's a load of bollocks.

You could finish 4th in your league and be crowned the best team in Europe!! Bizarre??

Said it yesterday, the day before and every other day before that for years. The Champions League is the best set of Emperor's New Clothes you will ever see. The winner is supposedly the best club side in Europe, or so we are led to believe! Just a quick glance at this year's finalist will show 2 teams, Spurs and Liverpool, who qualified for the 'Champions' League by finishing 23 and 25 points behind their own domestic League Champions. The same teams barely escaped their group with Liverpool losing half their group games a boasting a 33% loss rate in the tournament to date, whilst Spurs amassed a grand total of 8 points in their group and finished with a negative goal difference.

Even more bizarrely the 'Champions' League in its current format was 'created' in 1993. In that time the 2 teams who will contest the final of this greatest of misnomers, have never even been 'Champions' of the domestic leagues! Wait a minute, let me think about that.... we are about to have a 'Champions' League final contested by teams who have never been domestic champions in the life of this competition?

I rest my case that the Premier League is by far the most difficult league and the only league worth winning and that the 'Champions' League is a UEFA money spinning and media fuelled illusion to satisfy the cartel of their own importance.
Fantastic post. I have not looked up the stats and years but agree 100% with the point you are making.

Bollocks. You're only saying that because City have no pedigree in the European Cup/ CL.

You’s will win the champions league soon! You’s are improving your squad again in summer. You’s will have further strength in depth. I honestly think if it wasn’t for Liverpool keeping up with you in title race, you’s would have at least reached the final this year.

If you can get clear in the premier league next year, you can focus your efforts on CL. Pep rotated in 1st leg against spurs as he was thinking about PL games. It costs you’s in end. One year you will get the breaks, you’s are not far away at all and you’s still arguably have the strongest squad in Europe! Next season you will be there or there abouts.

Anyway you’s can create history winning a domestic treble, no team in English game has done it. Good luck at Brighton!

You could finish 4th in your league and be crowned the best team in Europe!! Bizarre??

But why the surprise? Chelsea finished sixth. Think about that…

You're not the best in Europe, not always, anyway, and every sensible person knows it. You're the best in the most prestigious knock-out competition. I'd like us to win it, by the way, i've always said that and I make no bones about it. But I get keep a proper perspective on it.

When I was a kid in the 70s I really wanted a Liverpool kit but the Grattan Catalogue only had Man City kits which is what I got. I was the only kid in our school wearing a Man City kit which greatly contributed to my frequent involvement in violent skirmishes. However, I still have a soft spot for you lot which brings me on to the point I was intending to make. There's loads of really bitter City fans on this thread mouthing off about how shit the CL is and they couldn't care less about winning it. What a total pile of shite, it's what you most desire. Just have the courage to admit it.

There's a fair bit of bad faith and sour grapes on this forum, I'll grant you that, and it makes me uncomfortable. But you know, mate, where you go off the rails is in your last two sentences. I can only speak for myself with certainty. As someone who recently turned 65 and first stood on the Kippax in ’68, sincerely, hand on heart, it is most definitely not what I most desire. I would like to have been in the final in Madrid, very much. I would like — much, much more — to have a ticket to the Amex stadium and see us win back-to-back titles. I believe I'm not alone in that. Right at this moment, for me, as a supporter, Falmer is more glamorous than Madrid. For sure, for the world at large, it's Spurs vs Liverpool that people in Thailand or wherever will be watching. But that's not my concern.
I certainly hope that we'll make a better showing in the CL next year, by the way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.