On this day 1995......

Gary James

I'm going to post this later on my Facebook but am posting it here first instead. It's a really important point that might generate some debate.....

Today in 1995 – Despite a goal from Niall Quinn and a penalty from Keith Curle Manchester's Blues were defeated 3-2 by QPR on the final day of the season. City ended the season 17th in the Premier League and Brian Horton was dismissed. The Blues had to wait until 2003 before they finished higher than this. Now people often talk of MCFC as a failed club prior to 2008 and this 'on this day' suggests that, however, a few points worth remembering. City had finished 5th two years running at the start of the decade and were an established PL team by 1995. It is what followed that caused City to be a failing club. City had recovered from the 1980s problems (although new chairman Francis Lee discovered lots of issues and odd financial agreements so that was still going on)

The sacking of Horton may or may not have been the right thing but the appointment of Alan Ball as his replacement was the catalyst for the fall. Ball's City struggled and, well we know the rest. BUT let's put all of this in perspective - Let's say the struggles started today in 1995 for arguments sake. That means City were a failing club from May 1995 to May 2002 (when Keegan's team won the 1st Division title). After May 2002 City became re-established as a PL team but football had moved on. The financial situation created by the PL and the growth in the CL made the successful clubs of that era rich and the others were left behind. So, City's low of the late 1990s and period as a 'failing' club was in total about 7 years. If we look at the successes we've had in recent years they've already lasted longer than 7 years, so let's stop talking of MCFC as if those late 1990s were typical - that would be as wrong as saying the last 7 years are totally representative of our total history - instead let's start talking of that period as being the blip; the period out of character with MCFC's history.

If the last eleven years are supposedly out of character with our history (I'd argue against that to some extent) then the much shorter period of struggle is certainly out of character. Let's start reminding people of facts like these.

I completely agree and was thinking the same over the weekend. Whilst the narrative of 3rd division strugglers to back-to-back champions is a good one it doesn't tell the whole story

City have only spent 1 season in the 3rd division, it was out of character

In addition, those 7 years of being up and down is round about the same time ti has been since United last won the league. In terms of the history of the club, it was no time at all

City got less points in 1993/94 and looked down before easter, very similar in 89/90 too, only 90-93 were under no threat. From August 93 it was a relegation battle for 3 years.

The begging of the end fro City fans was the FA Cup QF in 1993. City also struggled in Keegan's 3rd season and 4th till he quit, and Pearce's 2nd full.

The misery of the FA Cup final in 1981 to winning it in 2011 was more dark than light - but I never heard that City were supposed to be a failed club?

City got less points in 1993/94 and looked down before easter, very similar in 89/90 too, only 90-93 were under no threat. From August 93 it was a relegation battle for 3 years.

The begging of the end fro City fans was the FA Cup QF in 1993. City also struggled in Keegan's 3rd season and 4th till he quit, and Pearce's 2nd full.

The misery of the FA Cup final in 1981 to winning it in 2011 was more dark than light - but I never heard that City were supposed to be a failed club?
It’s the No History/Third Tier club that got lucky narrative that many put across. My point is that we’ve all had highs and lows and that no 7 year or 10 year period ever defines a club.

That game in 1995 was my first ever city game - I was only 9 and cheered when QPR scored!

The '1995 to 2002 blip' as you call it Gary actually started for me with Big Mal coming back in January 1979. Although John Bond did fantastically well initially we never recovered from those crazy spending days of Big Mal until our debts were paid off in full by Sheikh Mansoor. We had brief periods when it seemed we were back on track but as we are well aware you need things to be right off the pitch as well as on it for sustained success. Lets be honest until David Bernstein took charge in 1999 the club was run like a market stall in a world where our neighbours were the top high street fashion store..... haha how times change!

Even during those years you mention when we finished fifth it was obvious major expenditure was required on Maine Road which was looking pretty shabby and the debt still lay heavy over us- there was no chance of the stadium being modernised other than on a shoestring.

The fall to the third tier was more of a disaster because of what our neighbours were doing at the time. If they would have been struggling too then the gap between us would not have seemed so bad. Like now in reverse, their troubles are made all the worse for us being so good and boy, it will be as hard for them as it was for us.

The final Stuart Pearce season was bad too- if we hadnt had that injection of cash and Sven taking over then 2008 season could have gone pear shaped as well...although the last few months werent great and we found out later how close we had come to financial crisis yet again.

It only makes me appreciate the great management we have in place now, Khaldoon was a perfect appointment and we seem set for the long term, but that blip lasted 30 years or so in my book!

It’s the No History/Third Tier club that got lucky narrative that many put across. My point is that we’ve all had highs and lows and that no 7 year or 10 year period ever defines a club.

The long term disappointment was the lack of an FA Cup or League Cup semi final for 29 years, the relegation were not so bad, as we had the promotions in equal measure, but never getting close to the two cups we had a realistic chance of winning was bizarre.

There was a list produced on here of teams who had got further than city in Cups over that period, with 224 semi final births available as us getting none.

The "no history" thing is something like Beckham would say, and the same people are likely to say the same about Huddersfield or Notts County.

We’ve always been one of England’s biggest clubs and anybody who knows anything about football knows this.

Let the media fuckwits say what they want, idiots who believe them will soon change their tiny minds when City pundits gradually take over the media over the next decade and set the record straight.

There aren't that many clubs who have spent more seasons in the top flight than us. Up until 1983, I think we had spent more seasons in top flight than the rags, but it all went Pete Tong after that. Everton and Arsenal are the two standout teams for this (think both have had a bit of jiggery pokery in staying up in the past though) Think we're about 6th/7th.

I'm going to post this later on my Facebook but am posting it here first instead. It's a really important point that might generate some debate.....

Today in 1995 – Despite a goal from Niall Quinn and a penalty from Keith Curle Manchester's Blues were defeated 3-2 by QPR on the final day of the season. City ended the season 17th in the Premier League and Brian Horton was dismissed. The Blues had to wait until 2003 before they finished higher than this. Now people often talk of MCFC as a failed club prior to 2008 and this 'on this day' suggests that, however, a few points worth remembering. City had finished 5th two years running at the start of the decade and were an established PL team by 1995. It is what followed that caused City to be a failing club. City had recovered from the 1980s problems (although new chairman Francis Lee discovered lots of issues and odd financial agreements so that was still going on)

The sacking of Horton may or may not have been the right thing but the appointment of Alan Ball as his replacement was the catalyst for the fall. Ball's City struggled and, well we know the rest. BUT let's put all of this in perspective - Let's say the struggles started today in 1995 for arguments sake. That means City were a failing club from May 1995 to May 2002 (when Keegan's team won the 1st Division title). After May 2002 City became re-established as a PL team but football had moved on. The financial situation created by the PL and the growth in the CL made the successful clubs of that era rich and the others were left behind. So, City's low of the late 1990s and period as a 'failing' club was in total about 7 years. If we look at the successes we've had in recent years they've already lasted longer than 7 years, so let's stop talking of MCFC as if those late 1990s were typical - that would be as wrong as saying the last 7 years are totally representative of our total history - instead let's start talking of that period as being the blip; the period out of character with MCFC's history.

If the last eleven years are supposedly out of character with our history (I'd argue against that to some extent) then the much shorter period of struggle is certainly out of character. Let's start reminding people of facts like these.
I know you’re right Gary but it seemed a hell of a lot longer than that, still does :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.