Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exceptional second half yesterday and to the season.

He is starting to assert himself more in the ways we miss when Dinho is not playing which proved crucial for the run-in.

If he can build on that, and continue his current form, I would have no issue with him staying and regularly playing in centre midfield for us.

We do probably still need another DM/CM, though, given David and Dinho are regrettably on their way out, as Foden will come in to the fold for David but we do not really have anyone for Dinho (sharing time / covering Gundogan if he stays). Whether the club feel they are already in the academy ranks or need to be found elsewhere I am not sure. That may not happen this summer, either.
Surely we can’t fail to sign someone in that position again this summer. We’ll most likely be banned the two windows after this one, so not bringing a DM in means we’d need Fernandinho to keep clinging onto the top of the cliff until January 2021, possibly even Summer 2021 since it’s difficult to get players in January. Fernandinho is superhuman, but there’s little chance of him lasting that long!

Surely we can’t fail to sign someone in that position again this summer. We’ll most likely be banned the two windows after this one, so not bringing a DM in means we’d need Fernandinho to keep clinging onto the top of the cliff until January 2021, possibly even Summer 2021 since it’s difficult to get players in January. Fernandinho is superhuman, but there’s little chance of him lasting that long!
If we don't sign anyone and Gundogan stays. Gundogan will be the starting DM next season and not Fernandihno.

But if I were to guess, I'll say Pep's hint at our height weakness suggests the 6'3 inch Rodri is a lock of a Target by City. And so is the 6'4 inch Maguire (or 6'2 De Ligt if we can pull it off).

Size and height will be an area of focus this window.

Reportedly wanting to re-open contract talks after the Final according to Sam Lee. Get him signed up City!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.