Paint Stripper?

Pelly Greeny

What's the best paint stripper out there. Reviews on sites are all over the place !

It's for the architrave round the doors- they must be 80/90 years old - no idea how many layers are on there!

Looking to paint on and scrape off then gloss asap - laminate floor being fitted on Thursday.

Thanks

Last edited:
Now I've got your attention - what's the best paint stripper out there. Reviews on sites are all over the place !

It's for the architrave round the doors- they must be 80/90 years old - no idea how many layers are on there!

Looking to paint on and scrape off then gloss asap - laminate floor being fitted on Thursday.

Thanks
Most will take around 5 hours to apply and you can repeat 24 hours later. If you’ve got 4 layers it will probably take just over a week ;)

2moqwic.jpg

Unless your house is oozing character and made up of gothic revival or folk victoriana then I would sack the stripper and just replace the arcs with new that will match in with your decor. A joiner wont charge much for the job and they will look splendid for years to come. Fact of the matter is you don't even know the condition of the timber below even if you manage to get all the old crud and paint off.

I had some fine early 20th century doors once that I rescued from a back to back and I had them professionally dipped then stained and the finish with new door furniture was unbelievably good and well worth the effort but dipping is one thing and stripping is another and I would not like to strip arcs down to the bare due to effort v expenditure.

If push comes to shove you could use a sander and take them down and re prime undercoat and gloss.

Might be worth electric sanding them to death (if all you're gonna do is paint them anyway)
But if you're hell bent on stripping the old paint off, Paramose is good gear.. Get a skarsten scraper to bring it back to wood

What's the best paint stripper out there. Reviews on sites are all over the place !

Thanks

Surprised bluemoons resident insurance assessor / painter and decorator hasn't been on to offer some extremely practical advice.

Thanks
My first house had about 6-8 layers of paint on them. Nitromors paint stripper, left a gooey mess. Then I tried a butane paint stripper, was a slow and laborious task. My advice is to get them professionally acid stripped. I can't remember the cost as I'm going back about 25 years. Brought my ceder doors back to as good as new though after a sanding. If you choose to get them stripped you need to first paint the doors with vinegar to neutralise the acid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.