chromebook or windows under £200?

Chromebooks have advanced a fair bit. You can do offline on a chromebook now what you can on a regular laptop. Play games, edit documents etc. So knowing that a chromebook should not be so much of a put off these days. Obviously the os will be different and some feeling out will be needed at first to familiarize yourself with it.

For 200 quid personally i would be looking at cashconverters.co.uk type places for a decent second hand windows lappy. The best upgrade you can get for a quick cheap effort that has large effects on your system get a cheap ass ssd. For 30 quid you can improve the performance no end.

I have an Android tab - I wish I'd bought Windows for a bunch of reasons. But if you are really only after a few crap games and surfing, I'm voting Chromebook for your needs at that price. The software available isn't amazing... try and get one with the microsoft apps (word etc) installed if you are ever going to do work. But the laptops themselves are light, and very cheap.

But gaming might push you elsewhere. Whilst there are a tonne of time wasters, genuinely good android games are pretty scarce. What do you want to play?

I have an Android tab - I wish I'd bought Windows for a bunch of reasons. But if you are really only after a few crap games and surfing, I'm voting Chromebook for your needs at that price. The software available isn't amazing... try and get one with the microsoft apps (word etc) installed if you are ever going to do work. But the laptops themselves are light, and very cheap.

But gaming might push you elsewhere. Whilst there are a tonne of time wasters, genuinely good android games are pretty scarce. What do you want to play?

When i said donkeykong i meant candy crush. It's for my mrs, honest..
I imagine playing that doesn't use any fancy software? Think i'm gonna get chromebook based on prices. She's currently on a dell latitude from about 1999 so anyhting will be better i think

How come no viruses?
Because every tab you open on a Chromebook, runs in its own sandboxed environment, so even if you do come across something nasty, it's impossible for it to infect the rest of the system. And when you close the tab, the environment disappears and any malware with it.

Also, every time you start a Chromebook the Verified Boot functionality checks the integrity of the operating system, and repairs itself if there's any issues. And since it starts pretty much instantly, you might as well shut it down (rather than sleep) after every use. So the system is checked and corrected every time you pick it up.

For these reasons, as far as I am aware, there are no viruses which can infect Chromebooks. It's a non-issue, anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.