The Boxing thread

Joshua will likely win a rematch, but he will never be as good a technician as Lewis, Lewis was an exceptional boxer and only lost like you say when his focus was not right, also having a trainer the level of Manny Steward was a big plus for Lewis
I'm not sure Joshua has that with MaCraken
Access to the best amateur facilities Sport UK can fund...

Dillian Whyte would get ko'd again if they fought again.

He should of lost the first match with Dereck Chisora & was losing the 2nd drastically until he ko'd del boy.
The point I’m saying is he rocked Joshua in the second round but didn’t have the brains like Ruiz to follow it up. Wouldn’t be so sure he gets knocked out next time they fight as from Saturday everyone will be wanting a piece of Joshua .

He has limited punch resistance, but Ruiz can punch. That said, there was zero ring craft on show from AJ.

Joshua will likely win a rematch, but he will never be as good a technician as Lewis, Lewis was an exceptional boxer and only lost like you say when his focus was not right, also having a trainer the level of Manny Steward was a big plus for Lewis
I'm not sure Joshua has that with MaCraken

Wasn't Bruno in the process of giving Lewis a boxing lesson until the usual happened, at the very least I am sure he was ahead on points when he got the chin wobble lol

He has limited punch resistance, but Ruiz can punch. That said, there was zero ring craft on show from AJ.
Amongst the hyperbole they’re the two criticisms that stand up over a few fights. His chin is very suspect and his ring iq is low especially after he’s been clocked. He’s knocked out Vlad, Povetkin, Whyte and Brazeale and defeated Parker easily so he’s clearly a very good boxer. He’s not an all time, flawless great but not many are. All the heavyweights today have flaws. His biggest flaw is the fighter within that wants to entertain but he’s gonna have to be a better boxer if he wants to hold all the belts.

Lewis is the perfect example that Joshua should follow. He was a knockout king and exciting fighter until he got beat. He soon realized he had to avoid getting hit and fight behind his jab if he wanted to win all his fights. He had a cracking chin and still decided it was best to box boring.

But I have a feeling AJ wants to be in exciting fights and I don’t think he’ll be arsed if he loses 5/6 in his career. He’d be in good company if he did.

Lewis is the perfect example that Joshua should follow. He was a knockout king and exciting fighter until he got beat. He soon realized he had to avoid getting hit and fight behind his jab if he wanted to win all his fights. He had a cracking chin and still decided it was best to box boring.

But I have a feeling AJ wants to be in exciting fights and I don’t think he’ll be arsed if he loses 5/6 in his career. He’d be in good company if he did.

You can be exciting, but also make yourself hard to hit, that's why Ali was the greatest.

Wasn't Bruno in the process of giving Lewis a boxing lesson until the usual happened, at the very least I am sure he was ahead on points when he got the chin wobble lol
Yes he was, Bruno had a good jab and used it well and as you say he was ahead before Lewis KOd him
This was Lewis early in his career and he used to think he could blow opponents away and to be fair he usually did,
But once Lewis got Manny Steward on board he changed him and he became a more patient boxer, with a lethal jab and excellent timing ect,
The Lewis that became world champion would've given big Frank a lesson IMO and is a major reason for me why Joshua maybe needs a better level of trainer

Cheers, i only ask because the automatic reference in my head is when you see fighters fuck the tactics off and are ready just to smash fuck out of each other. Was it Morales v Paq where they did that for 3 fights in a row or something? Benn was not averse to throwing it down either if memory serves. The viewers love to see that though so as tactically bad as it is, the excitement level does ramp up.

I suppose that is different though isn't it as a smash up is an unspoken agreement seemingly between both that tactics can get out and it's just war. You think Joshua has lost focus in other aspects which led to him forgetting some of his training in the fight and losing it a bit? Yeah i can see how they would link. The hat certainly fits. If he does not post a Rocky montage of his training now i will be upset. You reckon he will ever sort himself to be a wrecking machine?

I never saw that Canelo fight, it was not advertised well for me, the casual fan. Is it worth downloading or did he just hammer the fella?

Sorry, missed this. Yeah scrapping tactics is fun for the viewer but it's stupid for the boxer. Mayweather always did what he had to and look at his record. And that was off the back of a youthful start being an aggressive fighter, but he changed for the better. Look at City when they play these days, we go 1-0 down or it's level near the end we still play the same way, because that's what the best do, execute the gameplan.

Unless there's promoter shenanigans, I doubt boxers will agree to just scrap tactics for a show. It's always going to be more of a heat of the moment thing, adrenaline rush and loss of head thing. Joshua was definitely underprepared for this fight, although how exactly I can't say, I'm not enough of an expert to know.

I don't think Joshua should think about being a wrecking machine. I think that is the mentality that had him lose the fight. He needs to become Klitschko Jr and just use his size, strength, and athleticism and just box his opposition into submission. He should work on his defence and tactics. If you saw him fight Parker, that was the Joshua he needs to think about being (but better nonetheless). With the money Hearn has behind him he really ought to get an elite coach.

The Canelo-Jacobs fight wasn't particularly great. It was interesting and the quality was high but it wasn't a classic in terms of entertainment. It was close but Canelo was the fair winner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.