Homegrown Players

Fuzzy80

I think it’s fair to say as a fanbase we are somewhat spilt on Maguire.

Even the ones who want him don’t at the prices Leicester are charging.

So the question is who else could we get home grown or what can we do given we will probably have a space after selling Delph.

Would also be interested if someone knew exactly how our squad works out currently. Unless I’m missing something we could buy a foreign CM, CB and RB if we lose Otamendi and Danilo. Even if Felix was added and Sane stayed we would still be ok due to his age. However, I’m not sure if we have other players now counting as squad members as they have gone over the age.

It's a bit depressing that we're still feeling the need to buy HG players. I would have expected the academy to have nullified that need by now. We should only be buying an English/HG player because he's too good not to, say, a young Rooney, for example, not because we have a hole in the quota. You're just compromising on quality and increasing cost.

I personally wouldn't contemplate signing a single one (unless Maguire's fee came down drastically) and look to give Doyle some game time in the cups. You don't need 4 Association trained players if you have extra Club-trained players. Also, in a year's time E.Garcia will be HG

eg.
GRIMSHAW
MURIC
WALKER
STONES
DOYLE
FODEN
STERLING
POVEDA

There are some great young players now England will be strong in 5 years time but the hg rule is killing chances of players moving. Morgan Gibbs white
Trent Alexander
Hudson odoi
Wan bissaka
Chilwell
Harry winks
Sancho
Reiss nelson
Max Aaron's
Eddie nketiah
Many others but would you pay the money it would cost to take a chance on them when clubs would want £50m or wait till they run out of contract or pay £20m more when proving.

Itt will happen as Wenger said - in some time, the transfer fees will die. Players will just run down their contracts. The fees we are seeing at the moment are not sustainable. The world where Maguire is being quoted as 80-90 million player can't last.

It's a bit depressing that we're still feeling the need to buy HG players. I would have expected the academy to have nullified that need by now. We should only be buying an English/HG player because he's too good not to, say, a young Rooney, for example, not because we have a hole in the quota. You're just compromising on quality and increasing cost.

I personally wouldn't contemplate signing a single one (unless Maguire's fee came down drastically) and look to give Doyle some game time in the cups. You don't need 4 Association trained players if you have extra Club-trained players. Also, in a year's time E.Garcia will be HG

eg.
GRIMSHAW
MURIC
WALKER
STONES
DOYLE
FODEN
STERLING
POVEDA
What has Maguires fee got to do with anything? He is either good enough or he isn't - fee in that context is irrelevant

Actually Felix would take up one of the 17 spots on the CL squad. They have to be not only under 21 but also have been at the club for two years to qualify for the B list. That was why Jesus was able to be left off the A list for the second half of last season but not the first. And with Jesus now over 21 I believe he will be back to using up a spot next season.

Another factor is what happens with Bravo. Muric did not count towards the A-list but if we keep Bravo as backup next season that is another foreign spot occupied.

Counting Bravo and Jesus we only have one open squad spot with any more having to be made room for by the departure of the likes of Danilo, Otamendi, and/or Bravo.

Rodri can claim the open spot and Cancelo would replace Danilo. But if Felix comes either Otamendi, Bravo or regrettably Sane would have to leave to open up a CL squad place. If Nico is the one to make way then any central defensive replacement would have to be homegrown which helps to explain the clubs infatuation with Maguire.

Actually Felix would take up one of the 17 spots on the CL squad. They have to be not only under 21 but also have been at the club for two years to qualify for the B list. That was why Jesus was able to be left off the A list for the second half of last season but not the first. And with Jesus now over 21 I believe he will be back to using up a spot next season.

Another factor is what happens with Bravo. Muric did not count towards the A-list but if we keep Bravo as backup next season that is another foreign spot occupied.

Counting Bravo and Jesus we only have one open squad spot with any more having to be made room for by the departure of the likes of Danilo, Otamendi, and/or Bravo.

Rodri can claim the open spot and Cancelo would replace Danilo. But if Felix comes either Otamendi, Bravo or regrettably Sane would have to leave to open up a CL squad place. If Nico is the one to make way then any central defensive replacement would have to be homegrown which helps to explain the clubs infatuation with Maguire.

i think you are overlooking Silva and Gundogan who both may stay but not earn a CL squad place? But i think our over paying of HG is down to us running a very young u23`s, take away Muric and Foden and that team is years away from challenging the first team squad, they need sending out on loan and players with game time being brought in, Garcia is a good example he maybe the best young CB in the world but Kelly who Bournmouth bought is better now, As for Maguire £60 plus million for a player sat in the reserves is bad business if the Dutch lad comes we will have 3 top class CB`s and Ottamendi who is highly unlikely to play, Mings on £20 million has experience of playing and sitting on the bench makes more sense and is a better footballer who can play LB and LWB better than Delph

Kompany's spot goes to a new DM (Rodri). New RB takes Danilo's place. Delph leaving makes room for another HG player (Maguire?).

Otamendi leaving would also free up another spot (Felix?). This is with the CL rules in mind....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.