Guardiola confirms intention to stay at City for next two years P123

Can you as a Juve supported shed any light on the Agnelli-Ceferin connection? I seem to remember having read that Ceferin is a personal friend of the Agnelli family, but I cannot find this anymore. Is there anything suggestion that these guys know each other well?

I'm not aware of any peculiar personal connection between Agnelli and Ceferin. They surely know each other, since Agnelli is ECA's chairman (you can find his latest ECA speech on youtube) and Ceferin is UEFA's chairman.
If I recall correctly, UEFA and ECA have recently had some disagreements over the future of European leagues.

Can you as a Juve supported shed any light on the Agnelli-Ceferin connection? I seem to remember having read that Ceferin is a personal friend of the Agnelli family, but I cannot find this anymore. Is there anything suggestion that these guys know each other well?
I'm not aware of any peculiar personal connection between Agnelli and Ceferin. They surely know each other, since Agnelli is ECA's chairman (you can find his latest ECA speech on youtube) and Ceferin is UEFA's chairman.
If I recall correctly, UEFA and ECA have recently had some disagreements over the future of European leagues.
"Ceferin says that he has heard the stories about how Agnelli arranged for Ceferin to take a spin in a Ferrari (Ceferin said that he has never sat in one); about the private jet trips on the Italian’s plane (they have never even flown commercial together, Ceferin said); and even the whispers about the motivation behind Agnelli’s decision to choose Ceferin to be the godfather to his six-month old daughter (Ceferin called it an “honor,” one that transcended soccer).

Still, the close relationship between the men and their families and his decision to accept Agnelli’s offer to serve as godfather at such a delicate time professionally has raised eyebrows in soccer circles, given the high stakes of the Champions League negotiations, with several officials privately raising the issue in recent weeks."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/sports/for-europes-soccer-chief-the-outrage-arrives-in-waves.html

Just to lighten up the mood:
"Powerful ritual for the arrival of Guardiola to Juve"

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ceferin says that he has heard the stories about how Agnelli arranged for Ceferin to take a spin in a Ferrari (Ceferin said that he has never sat in one); about the private jet trips on the Italian’s plane (they have never even flown commercial together, Ceferin said); and even the whispers about the motivation behind Agnelli’s decision to choose Ceferin to be the godfather to his six-month old daughter (Ceferin called it an “honor,” one that transcended soccer).

Still, the close relationship between the men and their families and his decision to accept Agnelli’s offer to serve as godfather at such a delicate time professionally has raised eyebrows in soccer circles, given the high stakes of the Champions League negotiations, with several officials privately raising the issue in recent weeks."
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/sports/for-europes-soccer-chief-the-outrage-arrives-in-waves.html
Thanks mate, this was what I had read. Does have a funny smell when you know one is ECA chairman wanting to reorganize the CL, the one is UEFA chairman profiting from the CL reorganization and obviously plotting to harm a competitor of the ECA chairman's club. Getting even more concrete when the UEFA chairman is working to ban a club so Juventus can steal its manager. Crooks, mafiosi are the nicest terms I can think off in this connection.

So the first two things are "stories" that have been denied by Ceferin. They could be either true or false, there's no evidence in one sense or the other.
I didn't know about the godfather thing, that means that they have a good relationship or at least they're trying to.
I don't know what this has to do with Manchester City to be fair. If we go along this line, FIFA's president is a lifelong Inter fan (our bitter rivals), so what? Chairmen aren't robots, they're bound to have personal relationships and have a team they supported as kids.
Apart from that, as I said UEFA (led by Ceferin) and ECA (led by Agnelli) haven't always seen eye to eye in recent times. And I haven't seen any favorable episode towards us in recent CL matches.

This would be a huge risk, Arteta has no experience as a manager, unlike paddy who has some experience with NYCFC and also with OGC Nice. I would like to see a management team of Paddy V and Arteta but handing the responsibilities to Arteta alone? hmmmm....not sure about that one.
I know as a club we want to promote the "homegrown in house manager" vision, but it's extremely risky.

Ex-United players from under Ferguson have tried for decades to be top managers and none have succeeded. World class managers are a very rare breed.

There is no guarantee that even Lampard who has far more intelligence, charisma and leadership than most ex-players will be a top level success.

I suspect without a proven manager that the players trust and respect, our performances and standing as a club would seriously decline. The PL is currently too competitive for experimentation.

You only need to look at how United have struggled to find a replacement manager for Ferguson to see how much difference having a proven manager can make to a club's success.

I agree we should try innovative solutions to relieve the pressure on Pep, and allow him to stay as long as possible, but I think his long term successor should be a proven world class manager, (like Bielsa?).

Last edited:
So the first two things are "stories" that have been denied by Ceferin. They could be either true or false, there's no evidence in one sense or the other.
I didn't know about the godfather thing, that means that they have a good relationship or at least they're trying to.
I don't know what this has to do with Manchester City to be fair. If we go along this line, FIFA's president is a lifelong Inter fan (our bitter rivals), so what? Chairmen aren't robots, they're bound to have personal relationships and have a team they supported as kids.
Apart from that, as I said UEFA (led by Ceferin) and ECA (led by Agnelli) haven't always seen eye to eye in recent times. And I haven't seen any favorable episode towards us in recent CL matches.
It does support the angle of a conspiracy to ban City and get Pep to Turin though, doesn't it? At least it is a win-win situation for those 2 personal friends. Funny coincidence.

Thanks mate, this was what I had read. Does have a funny smell when you know one is ECA chairman wanting to reorganize the CL, the one is UEFA chairman profiting from the CL reorganization and obviously plotting to harm a competitor of the ECA chairman's club. Getting even more concrete when the UEFA chairman is working to ban a club so Juventus can steal its manager. Crooks, mafiosi are the nicest terms I can think off in this connection.

Oh come on, do you really think UEFA is a one-man organization? Do you think your owners are helpless fools that couldn't do a thing if that was the case?

And apart from that, do you think Guardiola would go to such a club if a club operated like that? You sure hold him to a high standard.
Or perhaps you were going to say that we would kidnap him, yeah that would be more like our style. Grow out of mafia movies mate.
We're used to being pictured as the villains but sometimes it's just ridiculous.

Oh come on, do you really think UEFA is a one-man organization? Do you think your owners are helpless fools that couldn't do a thing if that was the case?

And apart from that, do you think Guardiola would go to such a club if a club operated like that? You sure hold him to a high standard.
Or perhaps you were going to say that we would kidnap him, yeah that would be more like our style. Grow out of mafia movies mate.
We're used to being pictured as the villains but sometimes it's just ridiculous.
Pep did apparently say no thanks though :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.