Mark Burgess - Tales from the ticket office!

How the Chameleons never made it commercially is beyond me. Excellent group.

How the Chameleons never made it commercially is beyond me. Excellent group.
After reading the posts earlier I listened to a few tracks again in the car today and would agree. Swamp Thing and Second Skin are personal favourites. On the ticket office, there’s so many great stories but I seem to recall the usual chaos at Ian Brighwells testimonial when thousands turned up on the day and they were completely unprepared. From what I remember there were long queues standing with a mixture of anger and resignation at the ‘typical city’ planning. It’s a little sad these days when it took me 5 minutes to renew 2 season tickets last week online!

Chameleonvox playing ritz in December.
Tears, soul in isolation
If I'm deaf when I'm old it's because these were played very loud

...at the time the Platt Lane / Main Stand corner had an official capacity of nil. Cracks had been found in the concrete under-structure years before and the city council wouldn't issue a safety certificate for it, yet that day it was as rammed as the rest of the bench seated Platt Lane stand... There could quite easily have been a disaster on both sides of the Pennines that day.

I was in the Kippax, which as a scrawny 15 year old was a frightening experience on the day, being picked up and carried 20-30 yards at a time by the volume of surging bodies. People I've spoken to who were in the Platt Lane said it was impossible to sit down because there were at least 2 people for every bench seat space.
I was 16 & the kippax was a very scarey place that day, never seen as rammed as it was that hot may day

Think it officially had a capacity of 48k with the Platt Lane/Mainstand corner in use.

I was towards the front of windy corner and or guess 60k or so were crammed inside that day. Was it pay on the gate? I assume it was for non-season ticket holders.

Luckily nothing happened & it was a fantastic experience.

Yes, it was pay on the day for the Kippax and also The Platt Lane.

I ended up in the corner between Platt Lane and Kippax, having climbed over the fence to relieve the crush. That's how people ended up in there. It wasn't open but police just let people pile in. I always wondered why it was "closed" to City fans that day because that section held several thousand and now I know: it was unsafe!

It could have been our Hillsbrough/Valley Parade.

The whole club was a shambles from the top to the bottom in those days and at the forefront of that shambles was that fucking awful ticket office!! No wonder a club of our size,stature and support spent 35 years in the fucking wilderness,it really was run by total morons,many out to further their own ends,led by bloody Swales! A total disgrace and unforgivable that good solid blues literally gave blood at times supporting this shower and some sadly died before it was sorted.
We were too loyal for our own good n’all. We should have stayed away or caused a few riots. But we just kept on keeping on going. We’re off our heads really aren’t we?!

We were too loyal for our own good n’all. We should have stayed away or caused a few riots. But we just kept on keeping on going. We’re off our heads really aren’t we?!

Football fan's in general exist on hope and dreams. Swales was a master at playing on that. I always remember the headlines every pre season on how we were going to sign all these top players, invest and become the biggest club in the country. Sadly it was always false dawns. Swales was the equivalent of a corner shop owner suddenly put in charge of a multi million pound chain. He was totally out of his depth and we paid the price for decades.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.