Uwe Rosler Interview

kaz7

Uwe Rösler on Manchester City: “When I walked on to the pitch for my first game at Maine Road, my dreams were fulfilled. I was lucky to play in front of the old Kippax. You had 15,000 fans singing non-stop, and even luckier that the fans took to me straight away...”

“The goals were part of that, of course, but there was more to it. Manchester City was a working-class club. And my way of playing mirrored the people who went to the stadium: hard graft. Never say die. Never give up.”

”I spent four and a half years playing in Manchester, but the relationship I developed with the fans has lasted a lot longer than that.”

“I flew to Manchester for a reserve game against Burnley at Maine Road. When I walked out I couldn’t believe how many people were there – it must’ve been around 5,000. For a reserve game! And they were singing. I was unbelievably impressed.” [via @CoachesVoice]

I always thought of all the players I have ever seen play for City(my first game was in the late 70s)Uwe was the closest thing to Manchester City in a player, he played the game in a way that we would all hope to and I found that so interesting in someone not from Moss Side but East Germany. Was he the best player I have ever seen, no(even before this current era), but he will always be my favorite player

Last edited:
Spoke to Uwe at the Platt Lane training ground car park in 1995 and mentioned that my lad (whose 18th birthday was approaching) would be gutted that he wasnt there with me as Uwe was his favourite player. Uwe asked for our address and, low and behold,
an 18th b'day card arrived for my lad from Uwe.

A real class act and a gentleman. Dont see many players doing that today !!

Saw him getting mobbed at The Green Man before the Stoke final. Another "outsider" who seems to have got what the club is to us (like Vinnie and Zabba). Christ, Uwe even named his lads after City legends. Jamie and Giorgios, I think.

Eldest lad is Tony after Tony Book and youngest is Colin after Colin Bell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.