Gardening

When I retired a few years ago, I redesigned and then replanted the front garden. Ig gives a lot of pleasure watching it develop and mature. Although our garden isn't large, the beds continue round the side of the house into the back garden which means we have about 80 yards of shrubs, bulbs and perennial plants. The lawn takes most maintenance but I find cutting and trimming it pretty therapeutic. I would like to grow veg but think that will need to be restricted to pots.
We have a massive garden centre just half a mile away but to be honest they concentrate more on their cafe and christmas crap than they do their plants so I buy most of mine from a nursery a few miles away in East Lothian. After City and Fly Fishing, Gardening is me favourite hobby.

I hold my hands up I am a total garden/allotment nerd. I try not to buy to much from garden centres as they are overpriced and a con but I use them occasionally. My garden is split into 3. At the back and fenced off (because I used to keep chickens) is the wild part for the birds frogs and any wildlife. Another part has my greenhouse and a large strawberry bed and the other bit is the garden with a pond and waterfall. I then have two allotments but that's another thread.

What I do love about garden centres is the way they sell plants in April, everyone dashes out and buys them. A frost comes and kills all the plants so they dash back in May and buy some more. It is a brilliant business plan.

My garden is mint. Always get compliments on the bowling green standard lawn at the front. Wouldn’t say I’m mad on gardening but I love it looking great and feel an achievement doing it all myself.

Spent fortunes this year on specimen shrubs and trees.

Half of you lot seem to like mowing the lawn, can I ask you to leave a little bit of it long and a little bit of the garden untidy. Nature needs a hand and it is amazing the benefits you will get.
Also if you have those 6x1 concrete slabs for the bottom of your fence, make a hedgehog tunnel so they can get between gardens, they eat all the bad things and are great little creatures.

If anyone has any tips for getting rid of marestail please let me know.

Bought some stuff last year called Kurtail (which I don't think you can get anymore). I've put this on and they did go black problem is it just keeps coming back more and more around my borders.

150 ft garden ,half completely wild,the rest left as much as poss,grass cut every 4 weeks,i like it wild and am rewarded with every kind of wildlife there is around,old garage at the bottom where the foxes have had cubs,nearly 20 yrs,it's wonderful just to look out and see so much going on,feeding baby badgers at the moment

If anyone has any tips for getting rid of marestail please let me know.

Bought some stuff last year called Kurtail (which I don't think you can get anymore). I've put this on and they did go black problem is it just keeps coming back more and more around my borders.
It has a huge root system so if your neighbour doesn't bother getting rid (like mine) it'll keep coming back. Just have to keep pulling it out every day when they pop up. They can reseed themselves so don't cut them up or compost them. Had them for about 3 years and they're getting more prevalent. My neighbour's neighbour has a huge 25ft fir tree and I'm convinced they grow easier around their root systems.

It has a huge root system so if your neighbour doesn't bother getting rid (like mine) it'll keep coming back. Just have to keep pulling it out every day when they pop up. They can reseed themselves so don't cut them up or compost them. Had them for about 3 years and they're getting more prevalent. My neighbour's neighbour has a huge 25ft fir tree and I'm convinced they grow easier around their root systems.
Brick his fuckin windows then and burn the cunts tree down!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.