Ndombele (signed for Spurs)

Missed a trick here not pursuing this guy. Spurs getting him for 55m as well, whereas we'd probably have been quoted 70. Still looked quality against us last season though.
Quite an odd signing for Spurs as they are notoriously reticent about spending money and this seems to me to be a player who is similar to what they have. Surely they need an Eriksen not a Sissoko?

I don't know much about overseas players. I remember Jorginho being feted on here 12 mnths and then it was a disaster when he went to Chelsea. That turned out to be a blessing. I would say I prefer Rodri on one ground and that is the quality of the league he plays in. You have to be a good player to play for Spain and in La Liga. You could say the same about the French national team but not their league

Quite an odd signing for Spurs as they are notoriously reticent about spending money and this seems to me to be a player who is similar to what they have. Surely they need an Eriksen not a Sissoko?

I don't know much about overseas players. I remember Jorginho being feted on here 12 mnths and then it was a disaster when he went to Chelsea. That turned out to be a blessing. I would say I prefer Rodri on one ground and that is the quality of the league he plays in. You have to be a good player to play for Spain and in La Liga. You could say the same about the French national team but not their league

I've been following this player as my 'dream DM' for a few years now. Really loved his demeanor, skill set, age, athleticism, mentality, skills and all that good stuff. He's such a unique player that's something of an 8 / 6 hybrid and his skillset will flourish under their system but not for us. Unfortunately, I had to set my bias aside as he just isn't fit enough to play the role that fern/gundogan/rodri play for us. He's much much productive in a free flowing system where they get up and down the pitch, with more protection and more freedom to 'just play' rather than recycle possession and dictate play. 3 CB's , wing backs, and two half Dm's / half AM is perfect for him and for them.

He'll be a star in their system, I'm confident of that.

I hope my guy shines. Big expectations from me.

£55m, potentially rising to £65m with add ons.

Sounds about right. The only downside (and it's a very big one) is that he's effectively trapped there and if he wants a bigger move 2/3 years from now then he'll be in a terrible spot. If you're going to sign for spurs then you better be happy with the wages that you're on during the initial contract because signing an extension is a death sentence. It's somewhat similar to ours, but ya know...we actually win things here :-P

10 years watching football now and I still can't believe more players don't run their contracts down. Especially at clubs like Tottenham.

No point asking me whether I think Poch is a good selling point for Spurs. Ask Ndombele. By all accounts, he was the one who was impressed.

Sure, Lyon usually qualify for the CL (though not every year). But they play in Ligue 1 - a league that is several notches below the Premier League. Playing for Spurs in the Premier League will be a big step up.

And if you really think that, in this Bosman era, any club that isn’t run by an idiot is going to pay a whopping £60m to sign a player on a mere three year contract, then you really haven’t thought about it carefully enough. The only senior players who are offered that kind of contract these days are those nearing the end of their careers who will have little resale value anyway.

Ndombele is only 22. If he eventually wants to move to Real Madrid or Barcelona, he will get his chance (provided he continues his development). In the meanwhile, Spurs under Poch is a brilliant club for him.
Stop living in fantasy land Poch is not a good selling point he has achieved nothing but empty praise from the media, he has developed a dirty mentality at what once was a beautiful free flowing team.
The only thing the player has achieved by moving leagues is a pay increase
And in this Bosman era signing a three year deal and doing well gets you an extension with a pay increase meriting your performance, ask Erikson how to get your chance to move to Barca or Real when tied down to a long term contract on low wages

Stop living in fantasy land Poch is not a good selling point he has achieved nothing but empty praise from the media, he has developed a dirty mentality at what once was a beautiful free flowing team.
The only thing the player has achieved by moving leagues is a pay increase
And in this Bosman era signing a three year deal and doing well gets you an extension with a pay increase meriting your performance, ask Erikson how to get your chance to move to Barca or Real when tied down to a long term contract on low wages

A manager doesn’t have to have won anything in order for players to want to play for him. That would be an incredibly narrow, unimaginative and just plain ignorant definition. Pochettino has taken Spurs to an altogether different level since taking on the job. All on a wage budget that is as little as half that of his domestic rivals and a transfer budget that has been nigh on non existent at times - other than when selling first. The players love him and love playing for him. They know his qualities rather better than you do, I suspect. Same was true of Southampton players at his previous job.

By moving to Spurs, Ndombele will automatically be taking a big step up, simply by virtue of playing in the Premier League week in, week out instead of Ligue 1. The main criticism I’ve read about him is that he can be a bit too casual in games against the lesser teams. He could probably get away with that in France. He won’t in England. So he will have to become more consistent. Thus his development will continue.

As to the contract issue, you misunderstand. The point I was making is that no right thinking club is going to pay £60m to sign a top, young player on a mere three year contract. They might as well piss the money away. If Ndombele was to move from Lyon this summer, as he wished, he had to accept that it was inevitably going to be on a long contract. At that price, he wasn’t going to be offered anything less.

Not sure what your point is about Eriksen. He hasn’t wanted to leave until this summer - and even then, only if Real or Barca come in for him. And he might still get his wish. He hasn’t been kept against his will. He is on something in the region of £75K per week (hardly low wages!) and the offer to double that has been on the table for more than a year. His choice not to take it thus far. Besides which, he is one of the few players for whom money has never been the prime motivation. He had the opportunity to join Barca before he joined Spurs and turned it down because he didn’t deem it a good career move at the time.

Pretty sure we want the option of getting Aouar in future so cant risk burning bridges on ndombele when we can get rodri for same price and a better fit to the team/tactics

No point asking me whether I think Poch is a good selling point for Spurs. Ask Ndombele. By all accounts, he was the one who was impressed.

Sure, Lyon usually qualify for the CL (though not every year). But they play in Ligue 1 - a league that is several notches below the Premier League. Playing for Spurs in the Premier League will be a big step up.

And if you really think that, in this Bosman era, any club that isn’t run by an idiot is going to pay a whopping £60m to sign a player on a mere three year contract, then you really haven’t thought about it carefully enough. The only senior players who are offered that kind of contract these days are those nearing the end of their careers who will have little resale value anyway.

Ndombele is only 22. If he eventually wants to move to Real Madrid or Barcelona, he will get his chance (provided he continues his development). In the meanwhile, Spurs under Poch is a brilliant club for him.

I agree and despite what some have said he was brilliant in two games against City and I wanted him. He’s a great signing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.