FIFA Women's WC France 2019

What was frightening was how poor the pass completion was from both sides given that they are meant to be two of the top three women's sides.
City are supposed to be one of the best teams in the world, and renowned for our passing, yet we sometimes don't pass it well enough either. Its a huge game, and players will be nervous, and will rush their decision making.

There is a picture on the back pages of Neville with his arms around Steph's neck. A bit like how you would cuddle your girlfriend just before you stuck your tongue down her throat. Not sure I am comfortable with this,arm around, hugging the players bit. Wonder how it works at the after match dressing room team talk when the girls are getting their kit off ready for a shower.
He's not allowed in the dressing room straight after the match. That's why they do those huddles on the pitch at full-time.

What was frightening was how poor the pass completion was from both sides given that they are meant to be two of the top three women's sides.

Is there are site that has those numbers? (that's a genuine question by the way rather than an attempt to challenge you)

We don't know it was, and that's the point, its a single frame used, who picks that frame ?

With players moving quickly, often in opposite directions, the ball moving quickly, there is still scope for error, because the technology is not up to the job, we don't even know that the lines we see are in perspective.

Not a single USA player appealed, until after the goal was scored, well they would then wouldn't they ?

We've actually gone from encouraging goals (what wins in football) by giving strikers the benefit of the doubt on offside, to discouraging them, but disallowing marginal ones, just to pander to a technology that isn't yet good enough, and we're now saying his (her) big toe was offside, to me its ridiculous that football seems to want to prevent the whole reason we play it, goals.

Indeed when using 25 frames per second 2 players moving at a mere 3 metres per second in opposite directions results in a 6 metre differentiation per second or 24cm per frame, and they reckon they can without doubt call a decision to a cm is total on utter fabricated bollocks. Even if the defender is static its 12cm margin of error per frame, and 3 metres per second isn't even sprinting, that's doing 100m in 30= seconds, imagine sane for example running full tilt at 8+mps with a quick full back running forward to try to play offside at 7mps that iss 60cm differentiation per frame, but we still trust someone to draw a line and say definitively he was 3cms offside totally disregarding the margins of error the laws of physics have dictated since time began.

I have gone 100% full circle on VAR from total support of the concept to absolutely hating the way its been corrupted and fully expect it to be used purely as a tool to appease the broadcasters rather than fans or actually improve match integrity.

Last edited:
We don't know it was, and that's the point, its a single frame used, who picks that frame ?

With players moving quickly, often in opposite directions, the ball moving quickly, there is still scope for error, because the technology is not up to the job, we don't even know that the lines we see are in perspective.

Not a single USA player appealed, until after the goal was scored, well they would then wouldn't they ?

We've actually gone from encouraging goals (what wins in football) by giving strikers the benefit of the doubt on offside, to discouraging them, but disallowing marginal ones, just to pander to a technology that isn't yet good enough, and we're now saying his (her) big toe was offside, to me its ridiculous that football seems to want to prevent the whole reason we play it, goals.

I agree,hence my use of the word humanity.

Regarding the actual footage,the frame used looked 100% conclusive to me......but i'll concede that there is always the factor of false perception/doubt.

In that case I think it would be fairer to use the position of the feet to decide on a position rather than if they are leaning forwards or backwards while they are running. And what would happen in situations where the players are actually level?

I agree as above,the advantage should always go with the attacker but VAR has removed that.

Focusing back on the tournament,lts hope heads can be raised for the 3rd placed game - that would be a wonderful achievement.

Cheers for that,my head now hurts ;-)

Sorry, on the plus side you at least avoided my poor diagrams explaining to a colleague in even more detail how much can change in 1/25th of a second, when he was harping on how brilliant it was they could definitively rule on offside without human judgement.

On the actual football side I gather must of the squad are young enough to still around in 2 years and if they improve ball retention and sir Phil teaches them how to defend properly they must have a great shout at the Euros.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.