Wimbledon 2019

Don't think there's anything wrong with the journos questions but I've only read them not heard how they were asked. Konta has come across as a bit prickly before, maybe this is evidence that she doesn't have the mental strength to be a big winner.

Journalist in “being a ****” shocker.

Fair play to Konta with her responses...

Journalist: “Looking at numbers, 33 unforced errors, then you had a smash at the net which you hit straight to her, then towards the end of the third set you had a double-fault, then missed a drive volley. Do you not have to look at yourself a little bit about how you cope with these big points? It’s all very well saying it’s a lot to do with your opponent, but there were key points when you perhaps could have done better.”

Konta: “Is that in your professional tennis opinion?”

Journalist: “No, that’s just as a watching spectator with everyone else on Centre Court willing you on. And the numbers are IBM’s.”

Konta: “Okay. I mean, I don’t think you need to pick on me in a harsh way. I mean, I think I’m very open with you guys. I say how I feel out there. If you don’t want to accept that answer or you don’t agree with it, that’s fine. I still believe in the tennis that I play. I still believe in the way I competed. Yeah, I don’t have much else to say to your question.”

Journalist: “I’m just asking you as somebody who presumably wants to go on from here, learn from this, win a Grand Slam one day. Is it not something—”

Konta: “Please don’t patronise me.”

Journalist: “I’m not patronising you.”

Konta: “No, no, you are. In the way you’re asking your question, you’re being quite disrespectful and you’re patronising me. I’m a professional competitor who did her best today, and that’s all there is to that.”

Moderator: “Let’s move on to the next question.”

No doubt the journalist will get a pat on the back from his editor because that’s what they think good journalism is - being a WUM!
She sounds a bit of a wanker to me.

Don't think there's anything wrong with the journos questions but I've only read them not heard how they were asked. Konta has come across as a bit prickly before, maybe this is evidence that she doesn't have the mental strength to be a big winner.
The journalist was a total prick mate, he was talking to her like she hadn't given it 100% and Konta put him straight, the tone in the journalist voice was all wrong.

Stat of the day from the BBC. During the Williams/Riske match they flashed up a stat saying that the last time Williams had lost to a fellow American in a Grand Slam was at the US Open in 2019.

The journalist was a total prick mate, he was talking to her like she hadn't given it 100% and Konta put him straight, the tone in the journalist voice was all wrong.

That seemed to be the problem for her, not the question itself although that seemed to be a reword of what had just been asked. I think she was a bit irritated by him providing an answer to his own question before she had a chance as well.

It came across as oily, and being overly careful as if not to cause offence despite being a little offensive, so I can see why she was irritated. I think it would have been fine to say "there were times when you missed a shot on a big point; how do you avoid repetition?" but it's still going to get "work harder" as an answer.

Mrs Ewing was not happy with the question from the journo but I didn't find anything particularly objectional about it. Might be a gender issue!

Load of bollocks -don't you think she would be questioning herself. Think the journo is Matt Dunn, Arsenal fan who thinks our trophies should have an asterisk!!! A complete nob head.

Yeah but forgetting that the journalist may be a knob or that you don't like him the questions were not out of order. Watching that match it looked like she completely bottled it just like she did a few weeks ago in the French. If she didn't bottle it then her shot selection at times was terrible and she didn't adjust to how the match was playing out at any point. This wasn't like where Murray couldn't win a major because he was being beaten by 3 of the greats despite playing to his max or trying different approaches. Both these games she's lost in the last month were very winnable and she should look at herself. If she can't handle or doesn't like even being asked about it then perhaps that shows the mental weakness even there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.