Ali Benarbia - Still one of my all time Favourites

Pure class and his roll after being fouled against Wolves (think it was Lescott and he got a red) was the best I've ever seen !!

Anyone remember when he got Lescott sent off for Wolves at Maine Road? Lescott caught him late and Ali rolled over about 10 times, almost all the way to the dressing room!

A foggy December night if I remember correctly?

Yeah; pity the Keegan era didn't end that well. But that promotion season. Given the calibre of player we had back then compared to now, it was almost as entertaining as what we're having to put up with under Fraudiola.
That season was the first time I'd watched City in total awe, with the second time being the first half of the title winning 2011/12 season. We blitzed Division 1 with some bewildering, unbelievable football. I can't remember which broadcaster it was (maybe Setanta), but they had the rights to Division 1 football & admitted City were the only big draw they had. KK complained that we hadn't played at 3pm on a Saturday for weeks because our games were always resheduled for live TV.

I also recall when teams in the PL started paying attention after our narrow Cup defeat away to Newcastle. We controlled the game, but just couldn't match Newcastle's firepower. However the Rag hoards I worked with were impressed, albeit they believed we were no match for them.... Shaun Goater had quite a bit to say about that! :-)

That season was the first time I'd watched City in total awe, with the second time being the first half of the title winning 2011/12 season. We blitzed Division 1 with some bewildering, unbelievable football. I can't remember which broadcaster it was (maybe Setanta), but they had the rights to Division 1 football & admitted City were the only big draw they had. KK complained that we hadn't played at 3pm on a Saturday for weeks because our games were always resheduled for live TV.

I also recall when teams in the PL started paying attention after our narrow Cup defeat away to Newcastle. We controlled the game, but just couldn't match Newcastle's firepower. However the Rag hoards I worked with were impressed, albeit they believed we were no match for them.... Shaun Goater had quite a bit to say about that! :-)
Didn't that short lived digital channel from ITV have the rights for, at least, some of the games in the football league that season?

If I remember correctly KK heard he was on his way up up there and invited him to to pop over to City first for a training session.

special talent - was a privilege watching him play.
Not quite, Sunderland had arranged a trial match for him versus City, KK wasn't watching/going to watch, assistant (Arthur Cox?) remembered him playing a european match v Newcastle & told Keegan to go & watch, unexpectedly Peter Reid didn't turn up so City nipped in.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.