Ali Benarbia - Still one of my all time Favourites

Didn't that short lived digital channel from ITV have the rights for, at least, some of the games in the football league that season?
I can't be certain mate. I was stuck between it being ITV or Setanta tbh. The channel was only on for a season or two, and was only ever going to struggle if the most they had to offer was a Man City match in the 2nd tier of English football.

Lad at work 5 years or so ago told me he was crap, most things I don't bite at, even if he was joking he got told big time.......

Lad at work 5 years or so ago told me he was crap, most things I don't bite at, even if he was joking he got told big time.......
With the faster pace & better players in the PL, he wasn't as effective as in the Championship (or whatever the 2nd tier was called back then), but he was still good.

However, at the age of 33 (I think) he was never gonna be the player he was in his mid 20s, but he was still a quality, world class player & an absolute pleasure to watch.

As for your ManUre colleague, their midfielders were more of the of Roy Keane mode. Scholes was a one off for them, but skill for skill, I'd say Benarbia had it.

Ali-Benarbia.jpg

The precursor to David Silva. Just imagine what Pep could do with a 23 year old Benarbia.......

https://www.planetfootball.com/nost...bering-ali-benarbias-glorious-spell-man-city/
Brilliant article.
I'd disagree with the last para tho ..his last game wasn't the 1st game at the Etihad. .it was at Field Mill Mansfield pre season friendly..City took about 1500 ..Keegan had made Bernarbia captain for the forthcoming season.....Ali announced his retirement from top class football within minutes of the final whistle...
Typical City.

Who can forget his performance at Hillsborough in the 6-2 battering of sheff wed..? I'm .still in awe of his performance that day...watching City under Kk with Ali Swp Eyal and Wanchope etc etc still ranks as one of the most exciting City teams I've ever watched....
Will never forget his 2nd game for City..midweek at Coventry ..we lost 4-3 but the travelling 5000 blues were treated to an Ali master class.he got 2 iirc ..pity about the bloody defence.

Stockport away ..our local Derby at the time. ..when Goater got sent off for handball...it was bedlam on the pitch and bedlam off it too....County did their best to kick lumps out of Ali but he never once shirked a tackle and kept demanding the ball,seemingly imperious to the powerhouse lunges at his shins..in fact I'd go as far as saying he was enjoying the whole thing.Highly skilled and brave as a lion...a true Warrior.

Not quite, Sunderland had arranged a trial match for him versus City, KK wasn't watching/going to watch, assistant (Arthur Cox?) remembered him playing a european match v Newcastle & told Keegan to go & watch, unexpectedly Peter Reid didn't turn up so City nipped in.

And as they say, the rest is history.

Thanks for the info H29.

Brilliant article.
I'd disagree with the last para tho ..his last game wasn't the 1st game at the Etihad. .it was at Field Mill Mansfield pre season friendly..City took about 1500 ..Keegan had made Bernarbia captain for the forthcoming season.....Ali announced his retirement from top class football within minutes of the final whistle...
Typical City.

Who can forget his performance at Hillsborough in the 6-2 battering of sheff wed..? I'm .still in awe of his performance that day...watching City under Kk with Ali Swp Eyal and Wanchope etc etc still ranks as one of the most exciting City teams I've ever watched....
Will never forget his 2nd game for City..midweek at Coventry ..we lost 4-3 but the travelling 5000 blues were treated to an Ali master class.he got 2 iirc ..pity about the bloody defence.

Stockport away ..our local Derby at the time. ..when Goater got sent off for handball...it was bedlam on the pitch and bedlam off it too....County did their best to kick lumps out of Ali but he never once shirked a tackle and kept demanding the ball,seemingly imperious to the powerhouse lunges at his shins..in fact I'd go as far as saying he was enjoying the whole thing.Highly skilled and brave as a lion...a true Warrior.
Benarbia & Berkovic... Two midgets alongside SWP who proved skill will trump all 15 year before Pep did...

We always talk about Benarbia, but Eyal was up there alongside uim. Funny though, I don't recall Berkovic playing that that at WHU??

Quality player, I'm sure he was voted player of the year twice in France?

Just a pity he joined us at the end of his career, great memory's though.

One of the most immediately impactful players, following signing, in our history; and one of my all-time favourites.

I would have loved to see him in his prime. What a player.

That promotion season under Keegan remains one of my favourites, outside those where we won the Premier League.

One of the most immediately impactful players, following signing, in our history; and one of my all-time favourites.

I would have loved to see him in his prime. What a player.

That promotion season under Keegan remains one of my favourites, outside those where we won the Premier League.

Imagine how much it would cost us to buy him in his prime if he was around now.

He's one or the players from the past, who Pep would have loved I reckon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.