Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

The umpires got the Stokes incident wrong.
5 runs should have been rewarded not 6.
Should the game be replayed?

Absolutely this, passages of play in cricket games can be equally as exciting/edge of your seat stuff as football. Who can forget Flintoffs over against Ponting in 2005, incredible drama. Yesterday was bonkers, I was quietly confident when Stokes & Buttler were in even though the RR was rising, then felt it was just getting away from us after that but we kept our noses in it with a boundary every over. Then the incredible two 'sixes' drama before you even get to the super over. I honestly don't think we'll ever witness a more incredible one day cricket match as that.

That crowd noise, wow.

Indeed. That 2005 Ashes series was up there with the greatest test series of all time. Every test match had shit loads of stuff going on. Even the first test at Lords which we lost comprehensively in the end had us taking positives from it. We had the Aussies at 87-5 on the first day and were in the game still until Clarke and Martyn took it away from us in their second innings. But Pietersen's 2 half centuries gave us hope going to Edgbaston and instead of going into our shell, we played positively from the off - admittedly we were helped by McGrath getting injured in the warm-up, but Australia were still a fearsome side without him. As you say, we had the Flintoff over, but also Flintoff and Pietersen with the bat in our first innings, Flintoff with the bat in the second innings dragging us to 170-odd and giving us something to bowl at, after we'd been reduced to 31-4 and 75-6 with Warne doing much of the damage including that unreal ball that got Strauss out, and of course the finale when it looked like we'd blown it after reducing them to 175-8 and they still needed over 100 to win and very nearly fucking did it!

Then there was Trent Bridge where we nearly chucked it away again after they followed on. Then Old Trafford where we again had the upper hand, and the weather ironically got Australia out of a hole with most of the third day being a washout, yet they still were in with an outside chance of winning on that final day despite having to score over 400 but as the wickets tumbled they had to go into survival mode and managed to get the draw.

Finally, onto the Oval test where they needed to win and we posted a decent score of 373. But then their openers made a fantastic start and put on 185 for their first wicket, and I was thinking they were going to score 550+ but we came back really well to get them all out for 367 after they were 323-3 at one stage. The weather intervened again - probably more to our benefit this time - and on that final day we were 126-5 early in the afternoon so it was still doable for Australia, until Pietersen took the game away from them in the most spectacular fashion, aided brilliantly by Ashley Giles of all players. I was on a beach in Kos that day following it on my phone, and was fucking shitting it before those 2 got together!

The umpires got the Stokes incident wrong.
5 runs should have been rewarded not 6.
Should the game be replayed?
They may of got it wrong but there is a lot of ambiguity with the overthrow rule. Also the laws of cricket state this

2.12 Umpire’s decision

An umpire may alter any decision provided that such alteration is made promptly. This apart, an umpire’s decision, once made, is final.

So no the game won't been replayed as the umpires didn't reverse their decision on the field of play. The umpire signalled six runs so the runs stand

Indeed. That 2005 Ashes series was up there with the greatest test series of all time. Every test match had shit loads of stuff going on. Even the first test at Lords which we lost comprehensively in the end had us taking positives from it. We had the Aussies at 87-5 on the first day and were in the game still until Clarke and Martyn took it away from us in their second innings. But Pietersen's 2 half centuries gave us hope going to Edgbaston and instead of going into our shell, we played positively from the off - admittedly we were helped by McGrath getting injured in the warm-up, but Australia were still a fearsome side without him. As you say, we had the Flintoff over, but also Flintoff and Pietersen with the bat in our first innings, Flintoff with the bat in the second innings dragging us to 170-odd and giving us something to bowl at, after we'd been reduced to 31-4 and 75-6 with Warne doing much of the damage including that unreal ball that got Strauss out, and of course the finale when it looked like we'd blown it after reducing them to 175-8 and they still needed over 100 to win and very nearly fucking did it!

Then there was Trent Bridge where we nearly chucked it away again after they followed on. Then Old Trafford where we again had the upper hand, and the weather ironically got Australia out of a hole with most of the third day being a washout, yet they still were in with an outside chance of winning on that final day despite having to score over 400 but as the wickets tumbled they had to go into survival mode and managed to get the draw.

Finally, onto the Oval test where they needed to win and we posted a decent score of 373. But then their openers made a fantastic start and put on 185 for their first wicket, and I was thinking they were going to score 550+ but we came back really well to get them all out for 367 after they were 323-3 at one stage. The weather intervened again - probably more to our benefit this time - and on that final day we were 126-5 early in the afternoon so it was still doable for Australia, until Pietersen took the game away from them in the most spectacular fashion, aided brilliantly by Ashley Giles of all players. I was on a beach in Kos that day following it on my phone, and was fucking shitting it before those 2 got together!

Great Summary, might have to get the DVD’s out again! Although I think I’ve seen Channel 4 are doing a program about it before the ashes start.

We’ve now probably witnessed the best two matches/series from them two formats of the game. I can’t see how anything will top 2005 still & now yesterday.

They may of got it wrong but there is a lot of ambiguity with the overthrow rule. Also the laws of cricket state this

2.12 Umpire’s decision

An umpire may alter any decision provided that such alteration is made promptly. This apart, an umpire’s decision, once made, is final.

So no the game won't been replayed as the umpires didn't reverse their decision on the field of play. The umpire signalled six runs so the runs stand

What is abit strange is I remember there being quite a delay after that ball with the Umpires together, wonder if that rule or the wording around it ever came up out on the field.

So by my guess that makes us the only country to have won world cups in Rugby Union, Rugby league, Football and Cricket. Highly unlikely any one will ever repeat that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.