50 years since man landed on the Moon

crooky

Incredible to think we managed to take a man to the moon 50 years ago when technology was so primitive. Even now it seems almost technologically impossible..

I'm hoping we don't go another 50 years, but hold that thought for now as there's plenty to look back on and admire what we did during those Apollo missions.

The first big event of course was the launch and it looks like it would've taken place around 14:32 in England on July the 16th. So tomorrow is the 50 years since the launch.

Which brings me onto a few things I've seen about to follow this momentous week. The first is a Twitter account that tweets at the 'same time' as 50 years ago. @apollo_50th

The BBC also seem to have lots of programmes about the event all this week. I just watched the wonderful 'For All Mankind' on the iPlayer for the first time and the footage is just remarkable for something that took place 45-50 years ago.

For All Mankind: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lkvtr via @bbciplayer

Any old farts on here remember the day?

Sadly in this day and age no government/corporation do anything just to prove they can, corporations governments generally demand a return on their investment, unfortunately too much is controlled by the worst invention of the 20th century these days " the management accountant" these people see no return and are invariably so risk averse they inhibit innovation to a degree.

I can only see innovation carried out by philanthropists like musk, at present and they only exist due to their extreme wealth in part created by accounts!

Incredible to think we managed to take a man to the moon 50 years ago when technology was so primitive. Even now it seems almost technologically impossible..

I'm hoping we don't go another 50 years, but hold that thought for now as there's plenty to look back on and admire what we did during those Apollo missions.

The first big event of course was the launch and it looks like it would've taken place around 14:32 in England on July the 16th. So tomorrow is the 50 years since the launch.

Which brings me onto a few things I've seen about to follow this momentous week. The first is a Twitter account that tweets at the 'same time' as 50 years ago. @apollo_50th

The BBC also seem to have lots of programmes about the event all this week. I just watched the wonderful 'For All Mankind' on the iPlayer for the first time and the footage is just remarkable for something that took place 45-50 years ago.

For All Mankind: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lkvtr via @bbciplayer

Any old farts on here remember the day?

I remember me and my old fella staying up to watch this live, I was 9 at the time.

Is there any point in sending humans to the moon again now that we've got robots that can do pretty much everything a human can do albeit much more efficiently and requiring much less fuel? Same can be said for every other planet or moon in the solar system given none of them are habitable. Tourism maybe? Mining in the far future?

Is there any point in sending humans to the moon again now that we've got robots that can do pretty much everything a human can do albeit much more efficiently and requiring much less fuel? Same can be said for every other planet or moon in the solar system given none of them are habitable. Tourism maybe? Mining in the far future?

I can think of quite a few humans we could send to the moon mate ( on a one way ticket )

Just watching a documentary saying it was a load of bollox and they never went. Conspiracy theorists, don't you just love em
giphy.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.