Food From Your Youth

Christmas Day meal always the best.
Never changed.
Home made soup.
Roast Chicken with roast and mash potatoes.
Sprouts and gravy.
Ice cream and a trifle.
Never saw a chicken,roast potatoe,sprout or a trifle until the next Christmas.
A stocking at Christmas with an Apple,pear,tangarine and an orange in it.
Thick custard and semolina.
Strawberry Cresta.It's frothy man.
Cremola foam.
Cans of cola with no ring pull.
Your dad had an opener for his beer that left a triangle shape opening to pour into a glass.
Gammon salad with chips in the Summer
All the family having the same meal.
Mint Cracknel...Toffos and spangles
Tudor crisps.Pickled onion flavour the dugs.
Mint Cracknel . . . . .remember Buttersnap ?
Similar but with butterscotch center.
Sure there was Orange Cracknel too.

iu

When I was little and had had a tooth or two out, and my mouth was too sore to eat proper food, my mother would make me a bowl of warm milk, with lumps of white bread soaked it it, with sugar to sweeten it. She called it "pobs", a word I never heard since. Also a crushed banana with the "top of the milk" and sugar on it.
Probably rotted what teeth I had left, but I loved it. But then folk had sugar on everything - corn flakes, porridge and in tea & coffee as well. The thought of coffee or tea with sugar in makes my stomach turn now.

There's something similar to "pobs" though in a poem by the 19thC dialect poet Samuel Laycock, describing the woes of feeding a new-born babe when unemployment in the cotton industry was rife:
"Th'art welcome, little bonny brid
Bud shouldn't ha' come just when tha did.
Times are bad.
We're short of pobbies for our Joe
But that of course tha didn't know
Did tha, lad?"
Poverty was real among the factory workers. A most touching bit of verse.
Pobs must be a dialect word.

Last edited:
When I was little and had had a tooth or two out, and my mouth was too sore to eat proper food, my mother would make me a bowl of warm milk, with lumps of white bread soaked it it, with sugar to sweeten it. She called it "pobs", a word I never heard since. Also a crushed banana with the "top of the milk" and sugar on it.
Probably rotted what teeth I had left, but I loved it. But then folk had sugar on everything - corn flakes, porridge and in tea & coffee as well. The thought of coffee or tea with sugar in makes my stomach turn now.

There's something similar to "pobs" though in a poem by the 19thC dialect poet Samuel Laycock, describing the woes of feeding a new-born babe when unemployment in the cotton industry was rife:
"Th'art welcome, little bonny brid
Bud shouldn't ha' come just when tha did.
Times are bad.
We're short of pobbies for our Joe
But that of course tha didn't know
Did tha, lad?"
Poverty was real among the factory workers. A most touching bit of verse.
Pobs must be a dialect word.

My mum used to make pobs with oxos too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.