Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

It is for cricket purists but test cricket is dying. Not just in this country. The aussies had to use Warner as a fill in. It worked. We have tried and failed with so many openers. They just don't know how to survive at that level. But that is for another day. It is a different game with different strategies. We have won the 50 over World Cup and let's enjoy it. Let's not criticise the test team until the Ashes are over!

am not criticizing the team ? its the board ECB in what they do for test cricket in england and its very little, test cricket is not dying and crowds in england are way up from what they used to be for the first 3 or 4 days, better grounds corporate fun for kids and a very good day out but forget coming to see a quick result its test cricket

purists or members will always be on the thin side in test cricket its the norm ?? back to the team setup and opening pair and its down to keeping cook so long as number one and we banked on him far to long and should have blood more players in the role, even if it meant losing then its progress and learning and give somebody time in the middle, its simple the the ECB hate change and when somebody with a bit of talent comes our way its done and dusted and set in stone for years and years even to a point of burning him out

cook was used for so much cricket it got stale and he went down hill so fast because he was on fire at the start of his career and the job was done, but the ECB never do the right thing when your at the top of your game and ask somebody else to challenge them and give them a chance and the other a rest

golden boy jofra archer will be the same he will be asked to play all forms of cricket for the next 10 years and everything is all right with the bowling ?? yes there is going to be a gap in the next year or so when anderson and broad pack up then we have woakes and stokes who swing the ball and wood and archer are who are fast and then maybe the curran brothers but thats its and for spin well just don't look and part time spin is used in moeen ali

Well, he could have chosen to represent the country of his birth and childhood and parentage. The pool of NZ cricketers is relatively small, and they need to keep all the talent they've got. England, with their relatively vast playing resources, not so much. If he'd pledged to NZ he could have been the next Hadlee.

Besides that, the NZ public don't take the national cricket team that seriously. Different story with the All Blacks. If Stokes kicked a disputed winning penalty in the last minute of the RWC final, you can be damned sure his parents would be hounded out of the country. In 1971, when the Lions beat the AB's in NZ, no-one talked to my English parents for weeks afterwards.
You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about that. Fair enough. Let me ask you a question, if you don't mind. The All Blacks teams in recent years have featured a number of lads who hail from Polynesia. And have proved worthy of the shirt. Were they wrong to leave their home islands to further their lives (sporting and/or economic) in New Zealand?

It is for cricket purists but test cricket is dying. Not just in this country. The aussies had to use Warner as a fill in. It worked. We have tried and failed with so many openers. They just don't know how to survive at that level. But that is for another day. It is a different game with different strategies. We have won the 50 over World Cup and let's enjoy it. Let's not criticise the test team until the Ashes are over!

I don't believe test cricket is dying in this country to be honest. Elsewhere, yes, but over here you still get bumper crowds for most test matches as well as for the shorter formats of the game, and from memory the boom in test crowds started just before the 2005 Ashes during the summer of 2004 when we played test series against New Zealand and the West Indies. I referenced a test match I attended in 2001 at Old Trafford against Pakistan earlier in this thread and on the Saturday the ground probably wasn't much more than half full but just a few years later test match crowds increased dramatically (and fuck me, so did the ticket prices!). Things might have tailed off a little in the meantime but test cricket is still very popular with the public in England.

I don't believe test cricket is dying in this country to be honest. Elsewhere, yes, but over here you still get bumper crowds for most test matches as well as for the shorter formats of the game, and from memory the boom in test crowds started just before the 2005 Ashes during the summer of 2004 when we played test series against New Zealand and the West Indies. I referenced a test match I attended in 2001 at Old Trafford against Pakistan earlier in this thread and on the Saturday the ground probably wasn't much more than half full but just a few years later test match crowds increased dramatically (and fuck me, so did the ticket prices!). Things might have tailed off a little in the meantime but test cricket is still very popular with the public in England.
I was at that game, thanks for reminding me. Final day was quite full.

am not criticizing the team ? its the board ECB in what they do for test cricket in england and its very little, test cricket is not dying and crowds in england are way up from what they used to be for the first 3 or 4 days, better grounds corporate fun for kids and a very good day out but forget coming to see a quick result its test cricket

purists or members will always be on the thin side in test cricket its the norm ?? back to the team setup and opening pair and its down to keeping cook so long as number one and we banked on him far to long and should have blood more players in the role, even if it meant losing then its progress and learning and give somebody time in the middle, its simple the the ECB hate change and when somebody with a bit of talent comes our way its done and dusted and set in stone for years and years even to a point of burning him out

cook was used for so much cricket it got stale and he went down hill so fast because he was on fire at the start of his career and the job was done, but the ECB never do the right thing when your at the top of your game and ask somebody else to challenge them and give them a chance and the other a rest

golden boy jofra archer will be the same he will be asked to play all forms of cricket for the next 10 years and everything is all right with the bowling ?? yes there is going to be a gap in the next year or so when anderson and broad pack up then we have woakes and stokes who swing the ball and wood and archer are who are fast and then maybe the curran brothers but thats its and for spin well just don't look and part time spin is used in moeen ali

Whilst i agree to an extent on Cook being given too long at the top, and agree that the ECB are not perfect, Englands all round bowling attack has possibly never looked stronger since 2005. Even in your own list, Jofra, Woakes, Stokes, Wood, Curran and Curran - how many quicks do you think we need? Agreed that spin is lacking but England have frequently lacked a world class spinner due to the conditions we have, hardly the ECBs fault.

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about that. Fair enough. Let me ask you a question, if you don't mind. The All Blacks teams in recent years have featured a number of lads who hail from Polynesia. And have proved worthy of the shirt. Were they wrong to leave their home islands to further their lives (sporting and/or economic) in New Zealand?

I don't really. It's his choice, and it's pretty obvious why he would make it i.e. English cricketers can expect to earn sums their NZ counterparts can only dream about. From my point of view as a born Kiwi, of course he made the wrong one - he could have made a huge difference to top level NZ cricket. Our loss. His choice. It is slightly annoying that English cricket with its comparatively vast resources in personnel and finance still have to recruit players who objectively should be playing under different flags, Archer being the latest case in point and almost too many Saffers to remember. Archer would make a huge difference to the W Indies at the moment.

As to the AB's, again its about personal choice I suppose. In years gone by NZ coaches would trawl the Pacific islands and offer inducements for players to switch allegiance and flags (e.g. Frank Bunce) and for young players to move to NZ clubs. That doesn't really happen now. The NZ population has increased by almost 50% in the last 30 years and its mainly due to immigration of pacific islanders for economic reasons. Most of the recent AB players of Fijian, Tongan, Samoan origin are second or even now third generation New Zealanders, and identify as New Zealanders.

Whilst i agree to an extent on Cook being given too long at the top, and agree that the ECB are not perfect, Englands all round bowling attack has possibly never looked stronger since 2005. Even in your own list, Jofra, Woakes, Stokes, Wood, Curran and Curran - how many quicks do you think we need? Agreed that spin is lacking but England have frequently lacked a world class spinner due to the conditions we have, hardly the ECBs fault.

its the options that we need on tours other than swing bowlers ?? with lack of swing with the kookaburra ball you need fast and bounce, also spin is another key slot and the lack of anything other than moeen ali and rashid what else is there ?? yes this summer is looking good in the ashes and we have now speed and bounce with archer and wood but we all know it will be swing that wins out and anderson and broad if fit plays leave 2 place for spin and bounce

right now i think can name the line up for the ashes and england will go with roy and root opening the bat

roy
root
bairstow
stokes
butler
moeen
woakes
broad
anderson
archer

I don't really. It's his choice, and it's pretty obvious why he would make it i.e. English cricketers can expect to earn sums their NZ counterparts can only dream about. From my point of view as a born Kiwi, of course he made the wrong one - he could have made a huge difference to top level NZ cricket. Our loss. His choice. It is slightly annoying that English cricket with its comparatively vast resources in personnel and finance still have to recruit players who objectively should be playing under different flags, Archer being the latest case in point and almost too many Saffers to remember. Archer would make a huge difference to the W Indies at the moment.

As to the AB's, again its about personal choice I suppose. In years gone by NZ coaches would trawl the Pacific islands and offer inducements for players to switch allegiance and flags (e.g. Frank Bunce) and for young players to move to NZ clubs. That doesn't really happen now. The NZ population has increased by almost 50% in the last 30 years and its mainly due to immigration of pacific islanders for economic reasons. Most of the recent AB players of Fijian, Tongan, Samoan origin are second or even now third generation New Zealanders, and identify as New Zealanders.
I feel that's a bit unfair on Ben Stokes, saying it was pretty obviously down to money - unless he's said that of course. He didn't take the game up properly until he arrived in the UK so I assume he had little affiliation to NZ cricket at that point and he was building a nice career when his folks decided to move back down under in 2013 by which time he had already been spotted by the ECB and "in the system" having been picked to play for England. Looks just like circumstances lead him our way, on this occasion.

its the options that we need on tours other than swing bowlers ?? with lack of swing with the kookaburra ball you need fast and bounce, also spin is another key slot and the lack of anything other than moeen ali and rashid what else is there ?? yes this summer is looking good in the ashes and we have now speed and bounce with archer and wood but we all know it will be swing that wins out and anderson and broad if fit plays leave 2 place for spin and bounce

right now i think can name the line up for the ashes and england will go with roy and root opening the bat

roy
root
bairstow
stokes
butler
moeen
woakes
broad
anderson
archer

Very charitable of you to have England play with 10! Presumably there's a batsman missing at around no. 3

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.