Mangala joins Valencia on a Permanent deal

He just needs to leave at this point. Pretty sure the clubs were offering €2-4m for him anyway, matters less if on a free at this point.

Not part of the squad so not as though taking up a foreign slot, never going to play for us again, hopefully someone will take a risk, if he isn't sold then just wages to pay for one year. No blame attached to those who signed him, every manager makes a mistake on signings, time to move on.

Club always takes care of players when they move away too, given Mangala's injury issues the club is still being nice as is to help him sort his move without any hurdles. Don't see an issue with that

Club always takes care of players when they move away too, given Mangala's injury issues the club is still being nice as is to help him sort his move without any hurdles. Don't see an issue with that

Correct. We gave him a contract extension to decrease his wages a little bit to increase the amount of clubs that could afford him and to allow us to get a minimal fee.

Porto fucked him and us over by doing an extremely intense and thorough medical, essentially looking for a reason not to sign him. Now he’s stuck in a team where he won’t play unless we give him away for free, making the contract extension completely redundant.

I like the way the club treats our leaving players, letting them get the move they want for a lesser fee. It helps keep them sweet and in turn keeps the good word of our club. But sometimes we can be a bit soft and end up with easily avoidable situations like this.

That game v Chelsea, not sure if his home debut, what a magnificent performance, thought we had signed an animal, a beast of a player.

Unbelievable that he could be that good, that day........

Yeah,i remember that game too, he shut down Hazard like never before lol, really sad that this was the only time he performed that well...

Says who?

Also you are wrong about the transfer fee. The £42m figure is based on putting 2+2 together to make 5, thanks to the details of 1 portion of his rights being leaked and people assuming City paid the same rate to each holder of his rights.

I never bought the widely thrown about figure of 42m. the official reported figure was 32m i think. Then someone assumed because a third party was entitled to a third of his ownership , we must have paid a third extra on top of that fee. And it made it into one article, and everyone just ran with it. The club spent all summer and the january before refusing to pay third party rights, so i doubt they'd have just coughed it up.

Either way, lets not forget how excited everyone was back then when he signed, he was seen as the missing peice to Pellegrini's high line attacking football. In hindsight, it hasnt worked out, its easy to argue it was a mistake. But he wasnt a bad defender when we signed him, still isnt, and, he did have some memorable performances, particularly at a crucial stage of the centurions season, which effectively secured the title with an impressive run.

At the end of the day, spare a thought for the guy as well, his career didnt work out the way he hoped either. Not having done much wrong at all if we are being fair.

For a club that has had to rebuild and recruit at the rate we have for every KDB, Sergio and David Silva you are always going to get the odd stinker. To be honest, It's not really a big deal, cash isn't an issue to us and we were able to bring in quality when Mangala didn't take his chance. Its one of them where City just say we got it wrong, we learn and move on. No need for any big dramas.

It’s not really like that is it. £60mill-£70mill is big deal and drama for any club, especially with FFP. City don’t throw money about like confetti anymore. The money bit aside. He was scouted, watched, reviewed, discussed by professional staff at City. They got it badly wrong. I’m no scout, but he never once looked like a World class centre half to me. He was more like a squad player. And he didn’t even reach those levels if we are being brutally honest about him.

It’s not really like that is it. £60mill-£70mill is big deal and drama for any club, especially with FFP. City don’t throw money about like confetti anymore. The money bit aside. He was scouted, watched, reviewed, discussed by professional staff at City. They got it badly wrong. I’m no scout, but he never once looked like a World class centre half to me. He was more like a squad player. And he didn’t even reach those levels if we are being brutally honest about him.

He certainly DID look like a world class center half. On a number of occasions. You can argue he wasnt value for money. You can argue over the length of his contract, he didnt live up to the potential/expectation/fee. But you can't argue he didnt have the qualities that got him noticed and signed.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.