50 years since man landed on the Moon

For NASA the moon landings were the ultimate challenge with the equipment they had at the time and I'm sure they would have wanted to do more trips like you said. For the politicians, this was the time of the Cold War and a great statement to the Soviet Union of the USA's superiority. For the public it was a statement of immense national pride and one they were happy to fund.

I wasn't saying the moon landings were for tv figures, I think it was for a combination of NASA and the politicians wants / needs. The reason I mentioned the tv figures was because this was taken as a huge indicator of how quickly the US public became bored of the projects and showed their objection to funding the landings with their taxes. In turn, I think the politicians cut back on the NASA budgets to keep in the publics 'good books' and so the landings had to stop. I'm with you on the feeling that there was still so much to learn from further trips, nut without the funding what can you do?

i understand the money part and yes people and there tax paying questions, but the moon could be a key part in space technology and could have been the best place to build a space station and see if man can really live in space, also taking other things to the moon and the space station and over time and see how they react on the moon and grow and live, yes drilling to see what the moon is made of and maybe find something to help on earth you just don't know what is there ??

There was a fascinating interview with Michael Collins. He said his greatest fear was that the Eagle wouldn't be able to take off from the moon, leaving Armstrong & Aldrin stranded. He then faced the choice of returning alone to Earth, where he feared he would be condemned for leaving them behind (as if he could do anything about it) or commiting suicide in space.

There was a fascinating interview with Michael Collins. He said his greatest fear was that the Eagle wouldn't be able to take off from the moon, leaving Armstrong & Aldrin stranded. He then faced the choice of returning alone to Earth, where he feared he would be condemned for leaving them behind (as if he could do anything about it) or commiting suicide in space.

They always said they were not given the means for a quick death if needed so I wonder how he would have done it.

Brilliant series on the beeb at the moment called 'Chasing the Moon'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006vrl

Really well made this. What BBC4 excels at...the music, the whole production. Rare I sit down to watch anything at that time (early) but was glued to the sofa.

Mentioned the quote from either Armstrong or Aldren to my son re the light that seemed to pass over the moon below their craft but couldn't quite find the info (obvs there was the 'UFO' speculation). Was it ever fully explained? Light reflecting from some discarded craft panels...?

To be honest 5 missions then fuck all else seems a little underwhelming, there should be a least moon base alpha up and running 20 years ago and a colony of first generation mooners by now.

The only downside is that we might be inundated with daily reports from Moonbase Anusfield as the BBC will try to persuade us that all the fg mooners are proxy Norwegians and consequently Dippers and coachwreckers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.