Buying a new TV

Any recommendations please blues?

I want a ‘smart’ tv with most of, if not all the trimmings.
If I get one, do I also need a Firestick?
If not a Firestick, what are my other options?
Oh and it has to be one I can watch the new City channel on. Ta :)

I would love to help you our kid but there are so many variables at play. Whatever your final decision it is true as other posters have mentioned that the chaps down at Richer Sounds HQ will offer you tip top service not afforded at the big conglomerates . Mr Richer is a tremendously fine entrepreneurial free spirit that actually cares not only about his business model but also the people who work for him and that my friend is a rare breed all in itself. So at the ripe old age of 60 he rewarded his staff with 60% of his business model making them the majority shareholders and paying them 3.5 million and £1,000 for every year of their employment across his 54 stores. Another reason they utterly glow-goodness is that Richer Sounds refuses to use zero hours contracts and is one of the 14% of companies with a pay gap that favours women. Employee perks include access to company holiday homes around the world including in European cities such as paris venice and barcelonaand it donates 15% of profits which last year stood at £9.6m, to charitable causes. And if all that's not enough to convince and entice you then maybe the Richer six year juicy warranty will. Six gorgeous trouble free years of happy ownership is a must in every TV enthusiasts armoury and when I came to visit I got a 35% discount for a day by moving in the shadows and striking like a coiled cobra but that's a story for another day and to date my best ever saving on household goods.

So how big a screen and would you be happy with full HD or are you in the market for 4k which on current price point will future proof you for a few sheckles more. What kind of money are you comfortable with spending and what is your limit. Maybe as others have mentioned an OLED TV or to give it it's posh name an organic light emitting diode but I call them different things : / Or maybe an LED/LCD TV with an edge lit back-light or maybe a full on FALD aka full area local dimming. And then if you really want to capture the moment we have to consider the nuances of HDR or high dynamic range that our chums at Netflix and amazon are throwing at us by the bucketful. Another thing to mention is whether you want your TV to be gaming friendly then if so buy one with a very low gaming lag.

For out and out picture perfection it is really hard to beat an OLED but this tech can have image retention problems and are not for everyone. If you watch lots of viewing incorporating heavy logos banners or an avid gamer with HUD displays then maybe an LED/LCD would better suit your usage and give you peace of mind. It has to be said though that OLED are moving on with better preventable measures like incorporating Logo luminescence technology and by the tweaking of their OLED sub-pixels. They also have on screen reminders for you to run the compensation cycles and also starting to educate protect and advise more openly in their safety manuals but until they can offer a 5 year guarantee against image retention then it's not for me especially with Sky network being a logo-esque nightmare... Sammy TV'S featuring QLED or quantum dot technology are also a fine beast and many have peak brightness of over over 2000 nits and above .. I recently bought the QLED90R and am delighted with it especially as they have tackled viewing angles bringing them closer to OLED.

What I am trying to say is it's horses for courses and so do your own research as one mans poison is another mans .....
Re the fire-sticks most smart TV's have all the necessary apps and for those that are limited you can download more. I think City is on the amazonian app ?

We are spoilt beyond reproach and I cast my mind back in time to 1969 as we tuned into our first ever colour picture and it was nothing short of thrashing tackle. Green grass and brown horses on the Bonanza and the Virginian and the race began to perfect the unperfectable. I envisage in a decade or two that we will all be embroiled in the heady realms of V.R where we can moon-meet in artificial Rain bars without even leaving our home to discuss the finer nuances of a 4 3 4 or a reversing triangle or whether zinny should be kept as an inside left or play out his potential as an midfielder ..It's coming and coming very soon but first we have to get through the up and coming Micro Led debacle

https://www.cnet.com/news/microled-oled-screen-technology-samsung-the-wall/

Last edited:
I would love to help you our kid but there are so many variables at play. Whatever your final decision it is true as other posters have espoused that the chaps at Richer Sounds HQ will offer you that tip top service not afforded at the big conglomerates . Mr Richer is a tremendously fine entrepreneurial free spirit that actually cares not only about his business model but also the people who work for him and that my friend is a rare breed all in itself. So at the ripe old age of 60 he rewarded his staff with 60% of his business model making them the majority shareholders and paying them 3.5 million and £1,000 for every year of their employment across his 54 stores. Another reason they utterly glow-goodness is that Richer Sounds refuses to use zero hours contracts and is one of the 14% of companies with a pay gap that favours women. Employee perks include access to company holiday homes around the world including in European cities such as paris venice and barcelonaand it donates 15% of profits which last year stood at £9.6m, to charitable causes. And if all that's not enough to convince and entice you then maybe the Richer six year juicy warranty will. Six gorgeous trouble free years of happy ownership is a must in every TV enthusiasts armoury and when I came to visit I got a 35% discount for a day by moving in the shadows and striking like a coiled cobra but that's a story for another day and to date my best ever consumable saving on household goods.

So how big a screen and would you be happy with full HD or are you in the market for 4k which on current price point will future proof you for a few sheckles more. What kind of money are you comfortable with spending and what is your limit. Maybe as others have mentioned an OLED TV or to give it it's posh name an organic light emitting diode TV but I call them different things : / Or maybe an led/lcd TV with an edge lit backlight or maybe a full on FALD aka full area local dimming. And then if you really want to capture the moment we have to consider the nuances of HDR or high dynamic range that our chums at Netflix and amazon are throwing at us by the bucketful. Another thing to mention is whether you want your TV to be gaming friendly then if so buy one with a very low gaming lag.

For out and out picture perfection it is really hard to beat an OLED but this tech can have image retention problems and are not for everyone. If you watch lots of viewing incorporating heavy logos banners or an avid gamer with hud displays then maybe an led/lcd would better suit your usage and give you peace of mind. It has to be said though that OLED are moving on with better preventable measures like incorporating Logo luminescence technology and by the tweaking of their oled subpixels. They also have on screen reminders for you to run refresh or the compensation cycles and to further educate protecting/advise in their safety manuals but until they can offer a 5 year guarantee against image retention then it's not for me especially with Sky network being a logo nightmare... Sammy TV'S featuring QLED or quantum dot technology are also a fine beast and many have peak brightness of over over 2000 nits and above .. I recently bought the QLED90R and am delighted with it especially as they have tackled viewing angles bringing them closer to OLED.

What I am trying to say is it's horses for courses and so do your own research as one mans poison is another mans .....
Re the fire-sticks most smart TV's have all the necessary apps and for those that are limited you can download more. I think City is on the amazonian app ?

We are spoilt beyond reproach and I cast my mind back in time to 1969 as we tuned into our first ever colour pictures and it was nothing short of thrashing tackle. Green grass and brown horses on the Bonanza and the Virginian and the race began to perfect the unperfectable. I envisage in a decade or two that we will all be embroiled in the heady realms of V.R where we can moon-meet in artificial Rain bars without even leaving our home to discuss the finer nuances of a 4 3 4 or a reversing triangle or whether zinny should be kept as an inside left or play out his potential as an attacking midfielder ..It's coming and coming very soon but first we have to get through the up and coming Micro Led debacle

Fuck me that is some response mate. Thanks for taking the time to help :)

Don't want to Hijack the thread but I have a 5 year old ,Just out of warranty :-( , LG LCD TV which goes into a loop on start up and keeps rebooting
question is ,is it viable to get these repaired or should I just buy a new one

I would love to help you our kid but there are so many variables at play. Whatever your final decision it is true as other posters have mentioned that the chaps down at Richer Sounds HQ will offer you tip top service not afforded at the big conglomerates . Mr Richer is a tremendously fine entrepreneurial free spirit that actually cares not only about his business model but also the people who work for him and that my friend is a rare breed all in itself. So at the ripe old age of 60 he rewarded his staff with 60% of his business model making them the majority shareholders and paying them 3.5 million and £1,000 for every year of their employment across his 54 stores. Another reason they utterly glow-goodness is that Richer Sounds refuses to use zero hours contracts and is one of the 14% of companies with a pay gap that favours women. Employee perks include access to company holiday homes around the world including in European cities such as paris venice and barcelonaand it donates 15% of profits which last year stood at £9.6m, to charitable causes. And if all that's not enough to convince and entice you then maybe the Richer six year juicy warranty will. Six gorgeous trouble free years of happy ownership is a must in every TV enthusiasts armoury and when I came to visit I got a 35% discount for a day by moving in the shadows and striking like a coiled cobra but that's a story for another day and to date my best ever saving on household goods.

So how big a screen and would you be happy with full HD or are you in the market for 4k which on current price point will future proof you for a few sheckles more. What kind of money are you comfortable with spending and what is your limit. Maybe as others have mentioned an OLED TV or to give it it's posh name an organic light emitting diode but I call them different things : / Or maybe an LED/LCD TV with an edge lit back-light or maybe a full on FALD aka full area local dimming. And then if you really want to capture the moment we have to consider the nuances of HDR or high dynamic range that our chums at Netflix and amazon are throwing at us by the bucketful. Another thing to mention is whether you want your TV to be gaming friendly then if so buy one with a very low gaming lag.

For out and out picture perfection it is really hard to beat an OLED but this tech can have image retention problems and are not for everyone. If you watch lots of viewing incorporating heavy logos banners or an avid gamer with HUD displays then maybe an LED/LCD would better suit your usage and give you peace of mind. It has to be said though that OLED are moving on with better preventable measures like incorporating Logo luminescence technology and by the tweaking of their OLED sub-pixels. They also have on screen reminders for you to run the compensation cycles and also starting to educate protect and advise more openly in their safety manuals but until they can offer a 5 year guarantee against image retention then it's not for me especially with Sky network being a logo-esque nightmare... Sammy TV'S featuring QLED or quantum dot technology are also a fine beast and many have peak brightness of over over 2000 nits and above .. I recently bought the QLED90R and am delighted with it especially as they have tackled viewing angles bringing them closer to OLED.

We are spoilt beyond reproach and I cast my mind back in time to 1969 as we tuned into our first ever colour picture and it was nothing short of thrashing tackle. Green grass and brown horses on the Bonanza and the Virginian and the race began to perfect the unperfectable. I envisage in a decade or two that we will all be embroiled in the heady realms of V.R where we can moon-meet in artificial Rain bars without even leaving our home to discuss the finer nuances of a 4 3 4 or a reversing triangle or whether zinny should be kept as an inside left or play out his potential as an midfielder ..It's coming and coming very soon but first we have to get through the up and coming Micro Led debacle

Good post. I have an OLED and an FALD (although it's Android, which i can't believe hasn't been refined to run smoother yet!). The OLED is much superior but we've already discussed the burn-in issues they have, the FALD has full HDR, is DolbyVision compatible (true DolbyVision unlike a lot of the other LED's) and is great in area's with a lot of light as we have it in the conservatory. The problem i found was that there wasn't a huge price difference between the OLED i have and the LED i ended up getting, but then i went for as good an LED as i could find and 65" whereas the OLED is 55". I think for most people a 42"-50" TV is fine and LED would also be ok, but if you're planning on getting the best out of 4k then it has to be at least 55" to notice any real difference and even then it's dependent on the content.

Don't want to Hijack the thread but I have a 5 year old ,Just out of warranty :-( , LG LCD TV which goes into a loop on start up and keeps rebooting
question is ,is it viable to get these repaired or should I just buy a new one
If it's LCD then it's def better to buy a new one. Old, inferior tech.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.