The Lake District ... stunning !!

Bit of an affinity with Bowness on Windermere as the other resorts are a bit on the quiet side.. A favourite hotel of ours is situated on the Newby bridge road Lakeside with jettys and beautiful morning views over the mist laden water called the Beech Hill Hotel. On our visit a few years ago we booked a three day special 4 poster jobbie with full board and 7 course evening meals. So each course was brought out by this dapper waiter with dickie bow and there wasn't enough on the plate to keep a mouse alive but then the peace du resisitance main course arrived on one of those Basil Fawlty gourmet night typo silver platters with an oval lid on and he said madam et madamoiselle et monsiure je ma presente le Fillet du Aberdeen Angus avec petis pois un vegatables and he lifted the lid and said in broken french Voila voila bon appetite and then fooked off. All that was there was a small lump of steak and patterns in sauce drawn all over the plate. Anyway after the final course of cheese and biscuit an mint and coffee by the roaring log open fire we went up the road to windermere chippy and ate it on a bench lake side...Its a great hotel to be fair and only a few miles to Bowness for the entertainment. I remember us having a day trip out to explore the countryside and we found ourself in Coniston water and found a great walk there where you passed loads of animal carvings.

Bit of an affinity with Bowness on Windermere as the other resorts are a bit on the quiet side.. A favourite hotel of ours is situated on the Newby bridge road Lakeside with jettys and beautiful morning views over the mist laden water called the Beech Hill Hotel. On our visit a few years ago we booked a three day special 4 poster jobbie with full board and 7 course evening meals. So each course was brought out by this dapper waiter with dickie bow and there wasn't enough on the plate to keep a mouse alive but then the peace du resisitance main course arrived on one of those Basil Fawlty gourmet night typo silver platters with an oval lid on and he said madam et madamoiselle et monsiure je ma presente le Fillet du Aberdeen Angus avec petis pois un vegatables and he lifted the lid and said in broken french Voila voila bon appetite and then fooked off. All that was there was a small lump of steak and patterns in sauce drawn all over the plate. Anyway after the final course of cheese and biscuit an mint and coffee by the roaring log open fire we went up the road to windermere chippy and ate it on a bench lake side...Its a great hotel to be fair and only a few miles to Bowness for the entertainment. I remember us having a day trip out to explore the countryside and we found ourself in Coniston water and found a great walk there where you passed loads of animal carvings.

That was my mum and dads favourite hotel and they went regularly until he died. I’ve often been for lunch on the Terrace. Fantastic view. I am a Bowness fan too. I know a lot of Lake District lovers hate it but as a Townie I like a few bars and restaurants. We went in April and stayed at one of those Boutique type places which was decent. Couple of new bars opened since I last went. I like that Lakeside hotel too at Newby Bridge but quite pricey now.

Just arrived back from a four day stay in Windermere/Bowness and I can honestly say what a treat it was to go back,after so many decades ago since we were last there.
We took in some wonderful places of interest from Keswick,Buttermere,Kendal,Ulswater,Coniston and Ambleside and we somehow avoided the downpours that we were expecting.
The scenery was superb and apart from the weather why would you go elsewhere other than the UK.
Have to admit that we are both sun lovers and will be away in January for two weeks,but still so much more to see here in likul ol` England in the summer.

It's a beautiful part of the world
Better the shit holes we have around Manchester.

That was my mum and dads favourite hotel and they went regularly until he died. I’ve often been for lunch on the Terrace. Fantastic view. I am a Bowness fan too. I know a lot of Lake District lovers hate it but as a Townie I like a few bars and restaurants. We went in April and stayed at one of those Boutique type places which was decent. Couple of new bars opened since I last went. I like that Lakeside hotel too at Newby Bridge but quite pricey now.

I am so glad they enjoyed it mate and lunch on the terrace was terrific.

WEInhE4.jpg

Staying there in August with the kids, any tips?
Fell foot, right at the bottom of Windermere, spent the day there Tuesday, hired a double kayak for a couple of hours, very busy, but really good day. Quite a few fast jets flew over too. Just take a good picnic, there's ice cream and a cafe, plus toilets, and if your a national trust member it's free parking!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.