What's the ratio of City to Utd in Manchester now?

Marvin

Back in 2002, MMU did a survey of City and Utd's season ticket fan-base and found:

• Manchester City had 16,481 season ticket-holders, 40% of whom lived in Manchester.
  • Utd had 27,667 seasin ticket-holders, 29% of whom lived in Manchester.

• The result being that City fans were much more likely to be Mancs, but that Manchester in 2001, had marginally more Man Utd fans: 7,808 : 6,678.

This survey was done at possibly the zenith of Man Utd's strength, they had just won the Treble, and City had just been relegated again under Joe Royle, and we had a stadium that had been reduced in size to 34,000.

City were shortly to move to the Etihad, and then of course experience the takeover.

Where are we now? In reality, fans are stubborn so and sos. It takes a generation to change habits, but surely the last two decades of a new stadium and unprecedented success for City have had an effect?

If the two clubs did that survey now, I think they'd find a lot more City than Utd in Manchester. Anecdotally, I see a lot more City than Utd colours in Manchester, and when I say a lot more, I mean it's actually rare to see Utd fans out and about in Manchester now.

Amongst match-going fans I reckon it must be 3:1 City. Overall, higher.

There are social media surveys and digital trends etc which show Utd as No.1 but City increasing dramatically. I watched the highlights of games on tour, and I noticed they were well attended e.g. 60k against Yokohama.

How long before those dinosaurs in Fleet St realise that the world has changed? Perhaps the problem is that they are staffed by Man Utd fans who grew up in another era.

This comment was motivated by the title of a new City book: "A treble without applause." Could a title ever be more apt?

I'm from Burnage and then Wythenshawe and it's always seemed overwhemingly blue , but i did live in Rochdale for 16 years with an ex from there and they all fuck off their local club to support the rags(and dippers too oddly). hanging around Oldham, Bury and Bolton its the same up there. The point i'm trying to make is is that these Greater Manchester fans inflate the scum numbers so much it's untrue. there was a reporter from the BBC asking people in the city centre if Mcr was red or blue a few years back and i know half the rags would have been from littleborough or Chorley etc. There is nowt wrong with it really but i think it's true.

I'm from Burnage and then Wythenshawe and it's always seemed overwhemingly blue , but i did live in Rochdale for 16 years with an ex from there and they all fuck off their local club to support the rags(and dippers too oddly). hanging around Oldham, Bury and Bolton its the same up there. The point i'm trying to make is is that these Greater Manchester fans inflate the scum numbers so much it's untrue. there was a reporter from the BBC asking people in the city centre if Mcr was red or blue a few years back and i know half the rags would have been from littleborough or Chorley etc. There is nowt wrong with it really but i think it's true.

I'm from Chorley,and there are loads of blues up here,always has been,and the big difference is that 99% of Blues here are season ticket holders as well,I grant there are rags,who probably go once every few seasons,same applies to Liverpool fans as well up here.

I'm from Chorley,and there are loads of blues up here,always has been,and the big difference is that 99% of Blues here are season ticket holders as well,I grant there are rags,who probably go once every few seasons,same applies to Liverpool fans as well up here.
Don't get me wrong mate im not knocking anyone for supporting any club whether it be Chorley or Chicago it's just the number of scum fans from outside the city of Mcr is vastly bigger than City's number.

Middleton has way more match going blues than reds.

The split I reckon is 50 50 in terms of support though
Mid is like an oasis in North manchester for blues. Lived in Hollin too and it's its like a breath of fresh air from the rochdale rags. Heywood always seem good too, though i can't remember if Heywood was in Mcr or not now.

Last edited:
Mid is like an oasis in North manchester for blues. Lived in Hollin too and it's its like a breath of fresh air from the rochdale rags. Heywood always seem good too, though i can't remember if Heywood was in Mcr or not now.

Langley had loads of blues. Had a few players like Booth and Clements from there so that helped.

If the two clubs did that survey now, I think they'd find a lot more City than Utd in Manchester. Anecdotally, I see a lot more City than Utd colours in Manchester, and when I say a lot more, I mean it's actually rare to see Utd fans out and about in Manchester now.
To be fair, that's not evidence that they don't exist, just that they're embarrassed to be seen wearing rag tops in public. Can't say I blame them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.