What's the ratio of City to Utd in Manchester now?

This is my take on it also.
I'm in M19 now and have lived around sth Manchester on and off since mid 90's.
To me, there are more reds than blues in all areas I've been, pubs busier when Utd are on etc.
And although I can't prove it, I think that the fans we have in these areas are more likely to be match going fans than the reds.
I don't know north Manchester well, nor Salford, but from mates I have in those areas they seem quite a bit more red than blue.

I work in town centre with around 300 mostly male employees. There are definitely more blue ST holders than reds, prob double the amount. But I'd guess more reds than blues overall. And that's especially true for lads in their mid 20's and 30's, hardly any blues in that age range. I'd guess that in 10 years time new employees in their 20's will be more evenly split blues/reds.
I've lived in Manchester from the 80s: Moss Side, Rusholme, Vic Park, Chorlton, Hulme, now Manchester City centre. Up until recently I worked at large employers in the City centre and always found loads more match-going blues at work.

Amongst the hard-core proper football fans who go to games, Manchester was at its 'worst' 55-45 Man Utd (see the incontestable survey I referred to based on 2001 Manchester resident seasonticket holders), but I am certain that there has been a massive shift to the blues over the last decade. I'd say that the shift is also mirrored amongst wider people, and even more amongst children who will be tomorrow's match-going fans.

No different to 10-15years ago, if your a blue your a blue of your a red nothing to be seen here move on.
Life, history, the world changes. There was a time before Mercer and Allison when City were on their knees and down to 10k.

Liverpool were nothing before Shankly.

Nationally, Liverpool are now the most popular club. I would say Utd are second, and City third.

There were more reds in Failsworth but more blues in Droylsden in my last spell in Manchester.

I think Utd would argue with that.
Some of them might but they're outnumbered now significantly in their own City.

Who holds London? Not Man Utd. Arsenal. There's nowhere other than Cornwall and Devon, which is empty, where Utd are no. 1.

Their last bastion is Ireland. That admittedly will be a tough nut to crack.

Overall there will be more Reds than Blues due to their 20 years of dominance.

That’s just common sense.

If the current balance of power continues for 15 years it’ll reverse.

Middleton has way more match going blues than reds.

The split I reckon is 50 50 in terms of support though
A client of ours owned a pub in Middleton. She had no football affiliations, but said she preferred City matches over ManUre.

She said City fans would come in early in big numbers, eat, drink & prep themselves for the match. They'd stay long after the match & continue eating & drinking.

The Rags however, would turn up 20 minutes before kickoff, order a pint & nurse it for the whole match, & as soon as the final whistle blew, they were gone.

Her pub was upgraded some years ago, so another thing she noticed is the Rags preferred this spit & sawdust boozer about half a mile away, whereas City fans wouldn't be seen dead in there.

I get what the OP means about the Rags support being swelled by fans from the surrounding mill towns. One season ticket holding Rag I used to work with came from Scarborough. It was the first time I'd heard the term 'I'm a ManUre supporter, but my home town/ local club is "Insert Name Here" '.

None of my football loving colleagues from the surrounding mill towns support their local clubs. One from Preston will argue the toss all day in defence of the rags. 2 from Oldham are diehard Dippers. Ask them why the support a team away from their area, & they reply they've always supported 'big team A, B or C'. However ask them why they don't support their hometown club, it basically comes down to the fact they're shit & have little support.

Pointing out if all these glory seeking fans supported their local teams, they wouldn't be as shit as they are, is lost on them. They're just desperate to be emotionally involved in the big Premier League scraps they watch in the pub.

In terms of our growing support, it will take another couple of generations to challenge ManUre & the Dippers, but it's happening at a rate of knots which is frightening both of them.

Going to London regularly, I was shocked to see so many kids wearing our shirt. Even abroad our brand is rapidly expanding. After the recent pre-season match between the two Madrid clubs, during the fans post match interviews, one fan ran up to the camera & screamed 'MANCHESTER CITY!!!!' That would have been unheard of even 5 years ago.

Success brings fans, especially younger ones. In the next few years, it's they who'll be TV presenters & Journo's & it then we'll start to get the fair press we deserve.

Last edited:
I'm from Burnage and then Wythenshawe and it's always seemed overwhemingly blue , but i did live in Rochdale for 16 years with an ex from there and they all fuck off their local club to support the rags(and dippers too oddly). hanging around Oldham, Bury and Bolton its the same up there. The point i'm trying to make is is that these Greater Manchester fans inflate the scum numbers so much it's untrue. there was a reporter from the BBC asking people in the city centre if Mcr was red or blue a few years back and i know half the rags would have been from littleborough or Chorley etc. There is nowt wrong with it really but i think it's true.
I'm from Burnage and then Wythenshawe and it's always seemed overwhemingly blue , but i did live in Rochdale for 16 years with an ex from there and they all fuck off their local club to support the rags(and dippers too oddly). hanging around Oldham, Bury and Bolton its the same up there. The point i'm trying to make is is that these Greater Manchester fans inflate the scum numbers so much it's untrue. there was a reporter from the BBC asking people in the city centre if Mcr was red or blue a few years back and i know half the rags would have been from littleborough or Chorley etc. There is nowt wrong with it really but i think it's true.
Mate it depends what the word fan means I've lived in leve all my life sixty plus years and I dont know a single rag that actually goes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.