What's the ratio of City to Utd in Manchester now?

I reckon it’s probably a 50/50 split, which is what you’d expect really.

Depends where you go as well. Used to live in Stockport, Fallowfield and Moss Side which are all predominantly blue. Live in Salford now and it’s rag central.

Fair play to them though they’re still supporting a local team

I know we all like to joke about Hong Kong / Zambian / Cornwall reds etc but if their crowds are 20k higher than ours surely they have more fans in and around Manchester than we do ?

I know we all like to joke about Hong Kong / Zambian / Cornwall reds etc but if their crowds are 20k higher than ours surely they have more fans in and around Manchester than we do ?

You should see the traffic jam heading out towards the M6 after a game at the old toilet, little tin boxes all full of southerners . .

I reckon it’s probably a 50/50 split, which is what you’d expect really.

Depends where you go as well. Used to live in Stockport, Fallowfield and Moss Side which are all predominantly blue. Live in Salford now and it’s rag central.

Fair play to them though they’re still supporting a local team
I think United have more fans than us in and around Manchester, it's just they are lying low at the moment. We are catching up though.

They travel. Utd have fans from all over. They are a national and international club.

City have a lot of travelling support too, hence the problems filling the ground on midweek Cup nights. Utd force those season-ticket holders to attend those games, or buy tickets, whereas City have an optional Cup scheme which most season ticket holders have opted out of.

I think United have more fans than us in and around Manchester, it's just they are lying low at the moment. We are catching up though.
I get your argument about City fans wearing their colours at the moment, and Utd not tending to do so. That must distort the impression.

When I was a boy, I lived outside Manchester but quite nearby, and it was totally swamped by Man Utd fans. There were a handful of City in my class, the rest was all Utd.

I am not talking nationally, the North West, Greater Manchester but Manchester, and in this City we have always had a lot of support, and now we have more fans they do. I am certain of it, but proving it is difficult.

I get your argument about City fans wearing their colours at the moment, and Utd not tending to do so. That must distort the impression.

When I was a boy, I lived outside Manchester but quite nearby, and it was totally swamped by Man Utd fans. There were a handful of City in my class, the rest was all Utd.

I am not talking nationally, the North West, Greater Manchester but Manchester, and in this City we have always had a lot of support, and now we have more fans they do. I am certain of it, but proving it is difficult.
I disagree Marvin. Certain areas of Manchester are more red than blue and vice versa, but we lost out to many Manc kids becoming blues in the 80s and 90s due to their fame and success to our dismal failure. Kids were embarrassed to become a blue unless brainwashed by their family. I'd say the split of reds/blues within Manchester is about 60/40. Like I said, we are catching them up though in terms of support and trophies won.

Let's use a neutral place just outside Manchester to judge.........The Bishop Blaize.....Yes...that salubrious establishment in the upmarket Greater Manchester suburb of Stretford.

Late last year, I was treating the missus to a slap up meal and a pint of cider - £6.50 for burger and drink - I know I spoil her, but a mans gotta do what he gotta do.

There were about 25 people in there - of the people I knew from local area, I counted 7 City fans (4 go to matches), 7 United fans (1 goes to 2/3 matches a season) & 2 Spurs fans (Spurs were on the tele that night).

So - if we take that as a demographic of the whole of Greater Manchester....

Population 2.8million - that means there are 784,000 City fans (448k go to matches every week) and 784,000 United fans (112k go to matches 'sometimes') in Manchester. Surprinsingly, there are 224,000 Spurs fans and 1,008,000 who don't care about football or aren't from here.

I think you shall find this study is pretty darn scientific, and if I weren't so humble I would probably expect to be nominated for a Nobel.

Of the 6 United fans who don't go to matches - they often mention empty seats at the Etihad and have valid reasons for not going to the games such as "it's on the tele", "too hard to get a ticket" and "I'm not paying £50 to watch that sh*t" or simply "can't afford it" or "I've got work". Of course, those same excuses can't be allowed if you are blue.

It’s getting there, I was only blue in my year at Primary school and I’m only 41 ( only ;) ) can you imagine that being the case in any school now ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.