WTF happened to music?

Mayor West

I know it's a cliche but modern music is just shite. I spend most of my time on youtube watching Queen, Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses, etc etc etc and I'm thinking why oh why does this quality of music not get produced anymore? Did the bands of today not grow up listening to this kind of stuff and want to create similar stuff of their own?

Its not just rock, even 'popular' music is shite, whether you like them or not, people like Elton john, Michael Jackson, Madonna are legends of music and all lead lifestyles to match.

Nowadays I dont think anyone, be it bands or individuals, will go down as legends and be loved in 30/40/50 years time.

Is it nostalgia, am I becoming a grumpy old man, or as I believe has music just turned to shit?

It is certainly very disposable now. There will be good artists about but diluted with the vast swathes of rubbish. If i leave spotify on recommended it plays a lot of innofensive stuff that is ok but sounds like a lot of other stuff. You may find 4-5 tracks in 4-5 hours that really stand out.

Occasionally a good band will manage to get their head above water long enough to be noticed (Rival Sons, Royal Blood to name a couple) but there’s precious little money to be made for them now unless they can get people to see them live. The modern music that’s popular today seems to be all about the videos; what they’re wearing and can they dance! Apple, Microsoft and people like Simon Cowell have made a fortune out of destroying music forever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.