#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on his useage of Silva and Fernandinho last season, when we were all screaming about resting them but he just continued to play them 3x a week, I think Pep will use Silva as much as possible until he completely runs out of steam.

I think best case scenario for Phil is something like Bernardo's first season when he comes off the bench almost every game and starts about 5-10 league games, 7 or 8 cup games and a couple of CL games if the draw goes our way.

Which would mean 40+ appearances and 15-20 starts which at 19 years old would be loads.
Yes, Silva’s performances will dictate how often he plays. And if KDB stays fully fit that will help Silva.

When iniesta was a year older than Foden he made 38 La Liga appearances for Barca, but 25 were from the bench. If Foden has a similar season he will be doing exceptionally well.

when we play spurs next week fernandinho will be back, and foden will be out of the 18.

can see de bruyne making 30+ starts, silva 25 and gundogan 15, which would leave around 5 free for foden (even then, that's assuming bernardo is played exclusively on the right). so outside of the cups, this will be another quiet season for him.

in 20/21 however, we'll have an attacking midfield four of de bruyne, bernardo, gundogan and foden, with foden picking up an extra 10 games where bernardo is rotated on the wing with sterling. 15 starts aged 20 would be very encouraging, and if all goes according to plan he should get promoted to undisputed 3rd choice (aged 22) once gundogan is moved on in 2022, very much knocking on the door of the first team.

obviously all depends on whether he fulfils his early potential but the point is, given silva's age and bernardo's versatility, he's got a pretty clear path to borderline first team football (as in 25+ starts) by the time he's approaching his mid-20s, provided he puts in the performances to earn that status.

he's a nice level-headed kid who likes fishing, and he'll have the good sense to remain patient for another year.

If he’s not even in the 18 on at match day what’s the point. He’s not developing sitting on the bench now - he needs game time.

Obviously pep has said he isn’t going on loan though - which doesn’t make sense unless he’s going to get actual minutes - not just 5 at the end

He’s had a season of being in and out of the squad now.

Last edited:
If he’s not even in the 18 on at match day what’s the point. He’s not developing sitting on the bench now - he needs game time.

Obviously pep has said he isn’t going on loan though - which doesn’t make sense unless he’s going to get actual minutes - not just 5 at the end

He's developing great, and will continue to do so.

He will 100% get more minutes than last season. As mentioned Pep will start to phase Merl out - expect to see Phil starting in league games against mid to bottom table sides.
Man yoo had better watch out...

guardiola's argument would be that he'll learn more under his tutelage, training alongside silva, bernardo etc, than he would playing games under a different manager with a different system.

if it were me i'd probably try to loan him out, but both development strategies have their pros and cons so i'm not that bothered.

depending on injuries, i would expect him to play 500-600 mins (he played 327 last season). if this prediction turns out to be vaguely correct, i guess you'll have to drop pep a line next spring to let him know his approach to coaching young players makes no sense.

Glad he came on. He needs these minutes when the game is already won

Bingo.
3 or 4 up and it is time to introduce some youth talent, they will then learn how to play to the level of our players, no use whatsoever learning how to play like Blackburns manager would want for example, I do wonder how many young ones we have buggered with shit loans.

A couple to Bolton under Coyle spring to mind.

Bingo.
3 or 4 up and it is time to introduce some youth talent, they will then learn how to play to the level of our players, no use whatsoever learning how to play like Blackburns manager would want for example, I do wonder how many young ones we have buggered with shit loans.

A couple to Bolton under Coyle spring to mind.

The problem with that is there is the limit of how many players you can have on the bench, so you could be 8 up, you can't bring youngster when you have aguero/jesus, bernardo/mahrez/sane/gundogan, ottamendi etc.. on the bench. Foden is rare breed, there won't be many regular young players on the bench.

The problem with that is there is the limit of how many players you can have on the bench, so you could be 8 up, you can't bring youngster when you have aguero/jesus, bernardo/mahrez/sane/gundogan, ottamendi etc.. on the bench. Foden is rare breed, there won't be many regular young players on the bench.

We should make an effort to make room for them then, foden and another, again not suggesting v the top 6.

At the end of the day if we don't make room for them they will either not develop or fuck off or both.

They will look at Sancho as the biggest example of what might be, unfortunately.

We should make an effort to make room for them then, foden and another, again not suggesting v the top 6.

At the end of the day if we don't make room for them they will either not develop or fuck off or both.

They will look at Sancho as the biggest example of what might be, unfortunately.

That is what will happen in most cases and that is why you have to be an exceptional talent to get through to the first team in most of top teams. Why would managers who usually know they are few defeats away from sacking go with youngsters and develop them, when they can bring world class or close to that, player from the bench. You need the strategy from the very top to focus on youngsters, but then again, you won't ever be a dominant force doing that.

I'm afraid City won't be the club where we will see many young players getting to the first team and it's time to get used with that. We can't have the best of all worlds. Our Silvas, agueros, kdbs, laportes, sterlings, jesuses and our local and academy trained boys. Number of players allowed on the pitch and the bench is limited. Just as a number of trophies to win each season. If someone is very exceptional talent, he'll get a chance if he is patient enough, like Foden is, otherwise, we're a club of a stature that will prioritize winning things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.