#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
But FIFA/UEFA/FA could help to change this. Just add 5 more places on the bench for academy players or players below certain age. In that case you could bring some here and there when game is decided. But even then you have to mix it up as obviously, those players of Mahrez/Sane/Ottamendi calibre won't like to sit each game out. But that change could definitely help some young players getting more minutes. Or even, to give a team one more sub when all three are used if that players is below 20 and academy trained.

guardiola's argument would be that he'll learn more under his tutelage, training alongside silva, bernardo etc, than he would playing games under a different manager with a different system.

if it were me i'd probably try to loan him out, but both development strategies have their pros and cons so i'm not that bothered.

depending on injuries, i would expect him to play 500-600 mins (he played 327 last season). if this prediction turns out to be vaguely correct, i guess you'll have to drop pep a line next spring to let him know his approach to coaching young players makes no sense.

And thank fuck you're not our manager.

Bet this time last year you had foden down to play ten prem matches from the bench based on our depth and preseason minutes. Yet here we are, in a world where he had 26 appearances (at the worryingly old age of 18 for a developing player in a world clas side) and scored the only goal in a title run in match.

Pep will play him. He will play an important role, again. And when he is the crippling old age of 20 by season end, he will have a few more medals around his neck to reinforce the first class education he is getting.

He's not going on loan.

Bet this time last year you had foden down to play ten prem matches from the bench based on our depth and preseason minutes. Yet here we are, in a world where he had 26 appearances (at the worryingly old age of 18 for a developing player in a world clas side) and scored the only goal in a title run in match.

Pep will play him. He will play an important role, again. And when he is the crippling old age of 20 by season end, he will have a few more medals around his neck to reinforce the first class education he is getting.

He's not going on loan.

well quite - we have the best manager in the world, and i'd struggle to make the top 5.

if you'd refer back to my original comment on page 6, you'd realise we share pretty similar views on the progress of young foden's development. i'm just slightly less "donald trump" when it comes to putting my point across.

as it happens, after de bruyne picked up his injury i thought foden would reach 5 league starts last season, and he only ended up with 3. possibly this time around i've erred on the side of caution. possibly not.

hope the hangover's not too rough.

Foden will get plenty of games. Once the first few games are out of the way and the CL starts Pep will rest some players like D Silva and KDB and we will then start to see Phil and others start games.

If he’s not even in the 18 on at match day what’s the point. He’s not developing sitting on the bench now - he needs game time.

Obviously pep has said he isn’t going on loan though - which doesn’t make sense unless he’s going to get actual minutes - not just 5 at the end

He’s had a season of being in and out of the squad now.
He’s played more than Scholes and both Neville’s (combined) had at that age. Also played more than D Silva at top level as well.

I think he’s developing ok to be fair. Chill out.

Last edited:

Bet this time last year you had foden down to play ten prem matches from the bench based on our depth and preseason minutes. Yet here we are, in a world where he had 26 appearances (at the worryingly old age of 18 for a developing player in a world clas side)

Foden played 13 league games last season (328 minutes) not 26.

I bet he will start 15 games Before Christmas in all comps and another 15 after.

He is happy here. He is playing under the best manager in the world with some of the best players.

No need to worry.

well quite - we have the best manager in the world, and i'd struggle to make the top 5.

if you'd refer back to my original comment on page 6, you'd realise we share pretty similar views on the progress of young foden's development. i'm just slightly less "donald trump" when it comes to putting my point across.

as it happens, after de bruyne picked up his injury i thought foden would reach 5 league starts last season, and he only ended up with 3. possibly this time around i've erred on the side of caution. possibly not.

hope the hangover's not too rough.

Haha I am indeed hungover. Looking back at the posts, it looks like it was more likely someone you quoted that set me off on one. Apologies.

For a drunk man, I said that far more eloquently than Donald trump though.

But FIFA/UEFA/FA could help to change this. Just add 5 more places on the bench for academy players or players below certain age. In that case you could bring some here and there when game is decided. But even then you have to mix it up as obviously, those players of Mahrez/Sane/Ottamendi calibre won't like to sit each game out. But that change could definitely help some young players getting more minutes. Or even, to give a team one more sub when all three are used if that players is below 20 and academy trained.

excellent idea, would love to see this happen. shame the sport's elite governing bodies are all run by absolute cretins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.