Should tactical fouls become a red card offence?

Don’t get taken in by the bullshit. There’s no such thing in the laws of the game as a tactical foul. A foul is a foul full stop. It’s a made up phrase to use as a stick to beat us with.
Well it’s not a made up thing really is it? The name they’ve given it is made up, but the actual act itself has been in existence for years. There is a clear distinction between an accidental foul, be it a late challenge, a slip into someone, getting done by a piece of skill and catching the player etc, and a deliberate foul to disrupt an attack, be it chopping someone’s heels, or simply holding onto someone to stop them running away or tugging at them. These are not merely accidental but are deliberate, and now referred to as tactical fouls. You can disagree with the name but if you disagree that it exists then I’m not sure what sport you’ve been watching! Clearly teams do it to control the opposition counter attacks. You don’t get overly punished for doing it, so it makes sense to kill a counter attack on the halfway line if they get away from your initial challenge.

Players falling over whenever a city player is within touching of distance of them shouldn’t even be awarded as a foul, never mind be given a stupid fucking name to go with it.
It’s not the City players cheating, it’s the opposition.

Well it’s not a made up thing really is it? The name they’ve given it is made up, but the actual act itself has been in existence for years. There is a clear distinction between an accidental foul, be it a late challenge, a slip into someone, getting done by a piece of skill and catching the player etc, and a deliberate foul to disrupt an attack, be it chopping someone’s heels, or simply holding onto someone to stop them running away or tugging at them. These are not merely accidental but are deliberate, and now referred to as tactical fouls. You can disagree with the name but if you disagree that it exists then I’m not sure what sport you’ve been watching! Clearly teams do it to control the opposition counter attacks. You don’t get overly punished for doing it, so it makes sense to kill a counter attack on the halfway line if they get away from your initial challenge.
Ok, I think we’re talking about 2 different things here. Fouls are & have always been committed to break up play, totally agree with that. Taking one for the team was how it used to be described & was considered a positive & clever thing to do. There’s definitely been a sea change since Neville billed it as tactical fouls as it’s now being seen as a negative thing to be used against City and is highlighted by certain reporters in the media.
However, my point was that it can’t be penalised in any other way than any other foul, be it deliberate or not as there is nothing in the laws of the game which mentions deliberate, accidental or tactical fouls. Until there is a new law brought in which defines what a deliberate, accidental or tactical foul actually is, then there can be no difference in how the foul is dealt with by the officials. Ie Tactical fouls don’t exist in the laws of the game, hence me saying it’s made up.

Ok, I think we’re talking about 2 different things here. Fouls are & have always been committed to break up play, totally agree with that. Taking one for the team was how it used to be described & was considered a positive & clever thing to do. There’s definitely been a sea change since Neville billed it as tactical fouls as it’s now being seen as a negative thing to be used against City and is highlighted by certain reporters in the media.
However, my point was that it can’t be penalised in any other way than any other foul, be it deliberate or not as there is nothing in the laws of the game which mentions deliberate, accidental or tactical fouls. Until there is a new law brought in which defines what a deliberate, accidental or tactical foul actually is, then there can be no difference in how the foul is dealt with by the officials. Ie Tactical fouls don’t exist in the laws of the game, hence me saying it’s made up.

if a foul can be defined as 'stopping a promising attack' then that is a mandatory yellow card offence

Tactical fouling is the new mantra to differentiate us from other teams. It used to be accidental or deliberate. In reality it's still a foul. In reality we dont kick lumps out of people and have a very low foul ratio per game. I dont give a shit if our fouls per time without the ball may be higher than some. It's just another measure thought up to sell copy

Systematic fouling is one that needs looking at.

Poor David Silva’s ankles have been kicked throughout each game, normally by 5 different players taking it in turns.

Tactical fouling is not great for the game but is a tough one. They should not be able to change rules now but might need doing in the future.

Probably the best justification for a sin bin type system. We're a nightmare for this but it would be up to the coaching and playing staff to use their considerable expertise to find another way of stopping counter attacks rather than deliberate fouling.

The problem as always will be the consistency of officials. You know Fernandinho would get sent off for this and literally a week later someone like Firmino would do the same thing and be unpunished as the ref interpreted it differently.

Sending people off for it is only half the job, they have to ensure consistency with every referee for it to work, and that just won't happen, even with VAR.

Where does the promising attack begin ? Opposition box? Centre circle? Outside penalty area?

Not sure anyone with common sense would want to bring “tactical foul” in the laws/rules of the game.

Where does the promising attack begin ? Opposition box? Centre circle? Outside penalty area?

Not sure anyone with common sense would want to bring “tactical foul” in the laws/rules of the game.

there's no catch all

you can have a promising attack on a breakaway from a defensive corner, down the wing or through the middle etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.